rookie needs help picking a fuel pump

87grandnat

hi, i have a 87 grand national and am looking to do some mods to increase the power o around 400hp, i have been told many times that one of the first things that i need is a better fuel pump, could anyone give me some insight on a good pump there are so many kinds and brands i dont know which one will work the best, any help is appreciated

Quad Air/Red Armstrong makes a nice pump. Its a modified walboro pump they call it an "XP" Intank Fuel Pump. It will be pleanty of pump for what you need it for. Get a hotwire kit too for the fuel pump, Caspers sells them at a resonable price, and replace the fuel filter when you instal the pump.

That's from Red Armstrong,I would go with the 340 I think they are on sale in the vendor specials section
Ed:D

Josh-
Good advice on the Red's XP plus fuel pump and hotwire kit. That's what I currently run and will go into DP when i get around to it. Easy install too. BTW, I have the wastgate actuator ready you wanted. Call me at 817 860-2774.
Mitch

The Walbro 307 is a cheaper alternative to the 340, good to the 11's anyway. My goals have changed a bit and I can get you this 307 sitting on my parts shelf for $60 if you are interested. Looks like I am going to have to go to a twin setup.

Do it once, do it right, don't cheap out on this important part. The only pump that I have never had to replace due to failure is Red's XP Plus.:)

Best Bargain?

Adrian is offering you a bargain. If the prices are reasonably close, go with the Walbro 340, instead of the 307. The motor is more efficient, so it not only pumps more, but it pulls less current as it pumps. But the 307 should get you to 400 hp, so for the price he's offering, it would be the best deal. The numbers are like this:
At 70 psi, the 307 flows 40 gal/hr, and the 340 flow 45 gal/hr.
The current at that point is about 12 amps for the 307, and 10 amps for the 340.
Per Joe Lubrants chart at GnTTyp.org, 400 hp will take about 32 to 35 gals/hr, so either pump should get you there. Along with a good turbo, and some bigger injectors. Be sure to get a hot-wire kit for the pump, or to make one, since the stock wiring will keep the pump from getting to full flow.

A fuel pump is not where you want to save a buck. It SUCKS to change so buy the best you can afford. I would go with a Walbro 340 or the Red's XP pump. Neither is really a budget buster and if it is...sell your Buick because it only goes downhill from there in the cost department. ;)

hey check this link out...........

www.racetronix.com
they got a nice deal on a hot-wired walbro 340 pump
best deal you will probally get and you can even purchase it online.

almost everybody runs this setup

do a search fo walbro 340 and see for yourself :D

The only pump that I have never had to replace due to failure is Red's XP Plus.
...and they all said...Amen :eek:

I second that emotion, Nick. My first single XP pump lasted 7 years, and is now in another 11.50 car, going strong. I now have an XP Plus Double Pumper setup for the new 10-second motor.

(440) 235-3232...the # to know.

Ormand, I did not want to say this in public, but a 307 pump is one I will never again install in a T-R even if the customer brings it.

Over the years I have been working on these cars, the only pump, besides the original factory one, that has ever failed, quit working, has been 307's. Had some 340's that got weak, but still worked.

Just my opinion with the experience doing a couple hundred Buick fuel pumps!:)

The only difference between the 307 and 340 is the pressure relief spring. Get a 307 and shim the spring yourself, now you got a 340.

one more vote for red's xp pump. or the racetronix kit. they are about the same thing.

Another vote for the xp pump, I called for a 340 which is what I always ran, and Red convinced me to get the xp, and rightly so:)