Rtv on filter

Ross Lowery

My transmission was said to have been built by Dave Barnes years ago. I probably haven't put 15k miles since the build ( but yes 20 years) . Noticed a bead of RTV on old filter. Wondering what the purpose was. Also had a drain plug( made changing fluid a snap) and a magnet in the pan. Fluid was very clean. Looked like new prior to changing. I didn't add RTV on new filter. I couldn't have applied it as neatly as it was. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
I'd be worried at some point a piece may break off and lodge someplace. For what may get by the joint will go through the filter soon enough. Now that o-ring that goes on the neck, still using the one that came from the factory, its locked pretty good in there and has worked good for 32 years so why accidentally gouge the surface.

Yes,the old o-ring was in there pretty good. Managed to get it out without scratching the bore. I used the new o ring just because i had one. Thanks.
Ross

This was very common. The 7004R is a better way to go. Do a search and you will find how to modify for a stock pan. BUT a Hughes pan is a much better choice. JMHO