You can type here any text you want

Running woofer power wire?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

I'm not gunna be doing this until it gets a bit warmer out, but I've decided that I'm not worried about racing my car at the track, and I'm not gunna worry about some extra weight from woofers and an amp.

Is there an existing opening into the trunk that the power wire could sneak through, or should I plan on having to cut a hole? Also which is the best path to get it from the battery to the rear of the car? I know for my upgraded fuel pump I ran the wiring through the frame and it worked out good. Could I do something like that?

Also I assume drilling is required to securely mount the sub box? Any tricky ways to keep it in place without drilling into the body?

Earlier this year I replaced the stock speakers and installed a new headunit but I've never done anything involving subs, so I'm sure I have some extremely amateur-ish questions.:p

There is a way to run it under the ac unit and threw the passanger door gap and inside the car and to the trunk. i have search but couldn't find it. i know there is a write up in the car audio forum but i couldn't find it.

Yeah unfortunately it seems like threads disappear rather quickly in this audio forum.

UMMMMM..... do NOT run the power wire through the door gaps:eek: ....its easy to run the wire... just route wire through one of the preexisting grommets in the fire wall, run them down the under the "entrance moldings" [there's actually a plastic conduit under the molding meant for routing wire] - then pop out your rear seat and run the wire to the trunk - THIS PROCESS IS VERY EASY and you will have a professional fit and finish. [remember to run your power wire on 1 side and your signal wire [rca patch cords down the other] in my case l/s and r/s respectively. NO DRILLING, CUTTING, MAMING NECESSARY!

I ran my + wire off the battery and across the back of the engine up near the cowl weatherstrip. Got some black wire loom so you don't even know it is there. It is zip tied so it can't move around.

Ran the wire through the grommet where you ran your boost line. Yup....same PITA grommet :biggrin:

From there down inside of the left kick pannel..under the chrome sill plate...next to the rear seat..and up behind the seat into the trunk.

Have it fused up by the battery and bought a special bolt that replaces the positive battery cable and adds a spot to secure a wire to.

I just got finished putting a system in my car...I ran 1/0 gauge from the battery in front of the hood (a gap between the hood and grille area I got more pics) kinda hard to explain then ran it to the drivers side and went into the firewall from there. Ran it past the seat by the door sill, and throught the trunk. It was pretty easy I did not run it in back of the motor because you could see it, pretty big wire...I put quick connects on all the wires, so I can easaily take it out when I go to the track
DSC02775.jpg

In my GN, I ran it through the rubber grommet that the computer wires go through. Basically, from the battery I run 2 gauge to my fuse block, which splits into a single 4 gauge and a single 8 gauge. Both of these wires drop down behind the heater/ac box and come through the firewall next to the computer wire harness. From there the wires are covered with wire loom and go about halfway over towards the center of the passenger side floorboard (to keep away from the computer itself). It then comes back over to the passenger side rocker panel where the seat track mounts and goes to the back seat from there. Under the bottom cushion of the back seat the power wires go to their respective sides (8 gauge passenger side and 4 guage drivers side). My 3 sets of RCA's run down the drivers side under the carpet and at no time do they cross the power wires. Id like to say that my system has very little if any noise at all. You just gotta take your time running the wires, and make sure they are nice and tight and bound together so they cant move around. Everything is under the carpet and cannot be seen and everything is zip tied so it cannot move. No holes drilled at all even for a multiple amp system. As far as mounting your sub box, yes you will have to use "L" brackets and maybe drill 2 or 3 self tapping screw holes. No big deal there. Email me with questions

Attachments

• DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 157
Wow, surprised to see so many replies, thanks everyone.

As I said, I don't have any of it purchased yet, so I'm sure I will come up with questions as I go along, but at least now I have an idea of the routing. I'm sure some of you will hear from me soon with more questions. :)

Power Wire

On my 85 NA regal i ran it right behind the computer near the pass kickpanel.. i ran it from the trunk through the back seat under the rocker panel. when u run though the kick panel its a pain in the A$$ but woth ot.. very hard angle and you have to feed the wire while someone pulls. the wire comes up right near the hvac unit or where the relays on pass would be for GNS... Good luck.. what system you running? are u using 4x10 or 6x9?

Those of you running a big gauge power wire by your PCM might want to re-think that.
It wont hurt your sound system, but the larger peak amperages drawn past your PCM might interfere with the computer itself.
I ran my 4 gauge down the driver side, through a new grommeted hole in the firewall, down in the channel and behind the back seat. I used the pass side to run my signal wires.

"Might". If you take care and run it away from the computer then back over to the passenger side, I see little chance for problems. If its going right under the computer or over it or directly next to it, yes, it could cause a problem. Also, good quality wire comes into play here........ just my .02

Back