???'s about 2001-2004 Jeep Cherokee Laredo....

Fakeyankee

Back in Black
The wife is looking for a used Jeep Cherokee Laredo, the 2001-2004 models. Any of you guys that own them or have owned them, please give me the scoop on them. What you liked, disliked, anything at all about them. We are looking at the straight 6 vs v8 models. Tell me what you know ! Thanks.

My wife has an I6 2x4 one. Personally, I think it's a great vehicle and we haven't had any problems except for a foggy headlight. They can get moisture in them and aren't cheap to replace.

Wife has an '03 V6
some minor annoyances in the electrical system at times
False Alarms: Low Coolant, ABS, Warnings etc
which so far have all been false

but all around decent vehicle

I had an '01 & an '04. Both V8, pretty good fuel economy (21-ish highway). Likes: tight turning radius, nice options and nice interior, holds more than you think (I had a Snapper riding mower in the back once with the rear seats forward); comfortable ride, no backache with lumber seats for hours on end; fast power windows! Dislikes: hard to operate driver side window switches, you have to kind of bend your wrist down; not enough storage compartments; didn't have a constant power cigarette lighter for cell phone, switched power only. Picky but true. They take a hit pretty good too ($6K damage when rearended in '04, drove it to the body shop no problem).

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited and I love it. Has 48k on it. 4.7 V8. I think the only difference with mine and the 01-04's is HP output and some trim. Still have the 45RE trans and 247 or 249J transfer cases. Only thing I'd like top do is supercharge it. But 80k is a long way off (to be out of warranty)

Had the TSB on diff whine taken care of. It is due to the driveshafts being too long, and aside from a couple rattles that I need to take care of, its a real nice ride. Comfy, powerful, and decent in bad weather.

Compared to the cheap plastic GM's and the piece of crap Fords I think this vehicle has them all beat as far as what you get for what you pay.

2 jeeps

I bought a 2000 Laredo inline 6 @ Chrysler auction. Put 20000 miles om it in 14 mo. No problems at all. Sold it to my son and bought another 2000 Green Limited V-8 this time. The V-8 (Aluminum) gets the same milages as the 6 did. IMO get a Limited V-8. I am a GM retire and had nothing but GM vehicles until this Jeep. My wife and I love the Jeep. Actually had a chance to sell it @ a profit recently after 16 months and 20000 miles, but didn/t.

Wife has an 04 4x4 Inline 6. Good family vechicle, engine keeps going on and off. Dealer says nothing is wrong. Bad side crappy gas mileage, won't get out of it's own way. I wish we would have gotten the v8. just my 2 cents

I have a 00 with the V8 and tow package. I bought it new and have 90k on it. I tow the GN and my 21' foot boat and barely notice them. I've not been nice to this thing and I never had any issues with it. Minor stuff like the rear wiper motor and a power lock broke but you really can't complain. I picked the Jeep up on a Monday and towed the GN to Bristol through the mountains that weekend for Buicks at Bristol with zero issues. Right now my only issue is that I want an enclosed trailer and I think 8500# plus the size would be pushing the limits with the Jeep. Otherwise excellent truck.
Chris Lyons
87 GN
9.01@153

Thanks for all the input guys !! Found a 2001 JGC for a really good price. It's a 6 and fully loaded. My wife is happy with it but she's kinda sad about not driving her 88 Chevy cavalier. She had it since it was new. Now it's passed on to my teenaged sons to drive around. At least I know she'll be safer in the Jeep ! Thanks again gang !!
Darrell.