??'s About changing hot air to intercooled??

RUQWKNF27

I know a guy who is gonna try to change a 84 t-type to a 86-87 set-up.. He has the headers, DP, upper engine parts , brackets an etc , he thinks to do it.. I was just wondering if this can be doen an if so what are some pitfalls to it.. Basically he's trying to swap parts onthe heads an block from a 84-85 hot air to try to come up with a 86-87 set-up!!

If money is a issue... All he needs to do is swap the 87 intake and have the upper bonnet modified. This is the easiest way to go intercooled and ave on the cost. You also need to drill a hole for the oil return in the intake. I am doing my own conversion ask we speak. I found two 4.1 at PULL A PART on Vanderbilt Road.. cost $118.48. Look at the pix.

Attachments

• Bluehose1a.jpg
    Bluehose1a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 184
  • bluehose2a.jpg
    bluehose2a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 160
  • bluehose3a.jpg
    bluehose3a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 177
  • bluehose4a.jpg
    bluehose4a.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 110
  • JS1.jpg
    JS1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 131
More pix

Attachments

• JS2.jpg
    JS2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 110
  • JS3.jpg
    JS3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 118
  • JS4.jpg
    JS4.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 127
  • JS6.jpg
    JS6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 106
Some one had one at the GS nats

There was a guy from Ohio at the GS nats with a set up like yours. My questions are on the mod to the dog house. What did you do and who did it? I have to guess you welded up a u bent from the turbo to the intercooler right? What parts did you use from a 4.1?

Get a 86-87 intake. Have Jeff at JS Manufacturing mod the upper bonnet if you do not have the equipment to do it. Drill a hole in the intake for the oil return. You will have to use a 86-87 TB and brackets for TV and THrottle cable. Everything else comes off the HOt Air intake. On the 4.1, I am using only the short block. I will be putting my 85 accessories on the 4.1. I thought about using the 4.1 head. I am goin to do some research before going with the 8445 heads.

That was my car at the Nats. I had the 85 there
with the 86 intake on it.
I used JS Mfg upper plenum and pipes,
but it isn't that hard to do if you have access to
someone who can TIG weld Al. Take a stock 86/87
upper and slab off the back and weld in a plate.
I then made a offset thermostat outlet pipe and
the rest is plug and play. I have tried a RJC Racing
upper plenum, but it is too big to clear the turbo.
Too bad we can't get somebody to cast us an
upper plenum of that style, just a little bit smaller!

cwmccray said:

the last pic you posted is of a hotair intake modified by me to mount a 87 upper plenum

if i can get enough orders i will finish where JS manufacturing left of and produce a few of these intakes.
i would like to get atleast 10 orders, and as i am a 1 man operation it may take me a bit to do all 10 but i wont start them until i have deposits on 10.

6 to go said:
Too bad we can't get somebody to cast us an
upper plenum of that style, just a little bit smaller!

talk to john at esp performance, they used to make a setup close to the js kit but it left the TB in the stock location and the upper plenum was a slip fitting,but it was a cast piece.
i saw the esp kit for sale on ebay recently but was incomplete.

highboost said:
the last pic you posted is of a hotair intake modified by me to mount a 87 upper plenum

if i can get enough orders i will finish where JS manufacturing left of and produce a few of these intakes.
i would like to get atleast 10 orders, and as i am a 1 man operation it may take me a bit to do all 10 but i wont start them until i have deposits on 10.

I got a couple of upper plenums. Would you be open to mod them? I had a nice BGC that I would have like to use! I loved what you did with your car. Maybe if you could get enought interest, this could be a good deal! :cool: