You can type here any text you want

s/c Regal GS questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DKREDT

Anyone have one as their daily driver? Any reliability issues? How many miles before they start getting tired? Are there any "best" years to look for?

Thanks,

Joel

I have a 2002 as my company car. It has had zero mechanical failures and has about 60k miles on it. It is pretty strong...stock they run mid to high 14s.

Was the "family car" for 5 yrs now its my daily driver. Has 61k mi and has only had a few small problems,

feul pump relay, replaced under warr.
the led display on the climate control went dark(typical), replaced under warr.
the powermaster had an internal leak, replaced
valve cover gasket's leaked, replaced
all 4 outside window trims drywrotted and cracked, replaced

Pretty much love the car, just wish I had more time to do the mods I want to do to it to put it in the 13's. I'd recomend one to anyone.:)

Just traded off my '98 GS with 96K miles on it. We bought the car new late in '97.

I had one warranty fix (the climate control LED going dim).

At about 75K I did a water pump (myself) ... I'm not convinced that it was the pump, but I think it was that DexCool crap.

I did tires and brakes at 65K ...

GREAT car! I had a small pulley on the SC and the car did 14.30s or so. Got 28-29 mpg on the highway, was comfortable, reliable, and quick. We loved it!

We love ours too. The only thing that happened to mine that hasn't been mentioned is the steering rack let go at 28k miles. I think that was maybe more of a problem on the 97-98's though. If I had it to do over again I'd get a 99-up, the airbox and muffler had a little better design.

It's no turbo car, but 14.3's with only a K&N cone and a 180 thermostat isn't too shabby.

Cool guys... thanks for the responses! What is a decent price for a 99-01 with decent miles?

Joel

I love my 2000 GS!

Some will say that the 1999/2000 cars are the best because of certain features were not included on earlier cars or deleted on later cars. For example performance shift button, strut tower brace, Monsoon 8 speaker stereo, split rear seats, air box location, small stuff like that.

You can find some real nice low mileage off-lease cars that will be in the 13-15K ballpark. That's how I found mine, GM Certified at a local Buick dealership.

I use mine as a daily driver and can really appreciate the fuel economy that it delivers for a decent-size luxury car. I average about 25 mpg and have hit 30 on extended trips. Oh yeah, and the car has run a 14.7 @ 93 mph bone stock.:cool:

i love them too but didnt buy one. i bought an 2000 LS instead, n/a 3800 200 hp 225 tq. moves out nice. i liked it better for the wife cause i dont have to put premium in it, and i have dogs and a child so leather wasnt an option for me. i also heard they chnged the new GS so it runs on regular.

if you are looking to buy one email me or look for my post click here for the post

I am selling it for a VERY good friend of mine and if you read the description you will see how nice the car is
Thanks

we have a 2000 LS with 12k miles on it...so far no probs! (it better be problem-free for that low of mileage!) gets great gas mileage...and it's really built well

our LS has 36k miles on it and no problems! ride quality makes my gn feel like a model T.

Are the s/c engines finicky like a TR's? Will they ping and run crappy on 89 octane? Do you always need 93 octane in the tank?

I love my 97, it has 75k on it, and the only thing i had replaced was the fuel pump resistor. I run 89-93 depending on how much it is each week here in NY.

i dont beat on it tho, so i never hear it ping or anything.

Just got mine last September. It's a Black 2000 Regal GSE. Got it with 14,XXX miles and so far its been great. I think the problem with the climate control fading only happened in the 1997 to 1998 models. Also I have heard of power window motors burning out and valve covers leaking. I always run 93 because it is what's required. I'm sure you can run lower octane but I would stay off boost.

Originally posted by xtremexnyc
Just got mine last September. It's a Black 2000 Regal GSE. Got it with 14,XXX miles and so far its been great.

How much did you pay for it if I can ask. ;)

Joel

thats pretty much what i've heard too. 89 octane but take it easy and premium if you got a heavy foot. as of 03 the GS has been tuned to run on regular.

Originally posted by matt87
thats pretty much what i've heard too. 89 octane but take it easy and premium if you got a heavy foot. as of 03 the GS has been tuned to run on regular.

Does that mean the 03's are de-tuned in some way?

i asked the dealer how they did it but he said "computer tweaking" so i knew he didnt have a clue. i figure they may have changed the eprom,heads or cam in some way to make more hp with less boost. i'd still run premium anyways.

I got a 1998 Regal LS........with the 25th anny package.......with all the goodies beside moonroof..................and on the back of the car instead of the LS emblem it has a 25th anny emblem. Nice touch, peps cant tell it isnt a GS.......LOL. I love it for a driver.....good on gas too. I kinda of wish I had a GS, but the reason I got a LS was I didnt want two money pits, at least not right now;)

Nick

Back