?s Stage 1 heads.

IMSA34RS

There was a recent thread about Stage 1 heads. There was a response that indicated the 8445 was close to the same. Can you guys give me a run down on this head such as: What was it's origional use such as year and turbo or NA? Why similar? Was this a production part that was the result of the Stage 1 developement? Any info. that you could add to this discussion. Thanks, Den

Den,

The "8445" head spoken of in the Stage I head topic is the stock cylinder head for all 1986-1987 RWD buick 3.8 liter engines. I'm not sure if they were evolved directly from the Stage I castings. I have a pair of each and they look the same to me. Supposedly the Stage I head deck surface is thicker etc. I'm not convinced.

Neal

Stage I heads

Neal thanks for the response on the 8445 heads. I suspect I need to obtain the 8445 head to really understand what appears to be the similarity with the possibilty of some minor differences. It looks like it is fill in the blanks. Again thanks. Den

The basic casting looks almost identical, except EGR passages. And some casting marks. Also heard about thicker deck surface too but who knows. Not anything to add to the thread, but side by side they look the same. Both the "Stage I" heads and 8445 heads I have are ported, so I do not know if the runners, bowls, etc are the same.