You can type here any text you want

safe to install new valve springs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oc192

I have a stock engine with 78k miles on the clock. My buddy has a GN with similar mileage and just replaced his valve springs. He said he gained 60# tq to the wheels after the replacement and swears by it.

I am thinking about doing the same but have read somewhere that you can wipe a lobe on the cam? I have bought the 100 Lb springs from Kirbans but not sure if I should replace them now or wait until I have the engine rebuilt at some point.

The 100 lb springs are a good upgrade and will make more power at the upper RPM range. Be sure to add ZDDP to your oil at EVERY oil change and use a good quality oil made for racing. Search "OIL" and you can spend DAYS and DAYS reading up on what everyone preferes.;) Or save your money and buy a roller cam and be done with it.

If you replace the valve springs don't reuse the stock valve spring cups. The Kirban springs have an internal damper so there is no reason to use the cups. I was told that if they are used they act like a shim and create to much spring pressure.

Back