scan tool ? laptop? how to best tune my T-type??

bluehair

not sure if this is the right forum or not, so mods please move if so and i apologize upfront. sorta new here.

car: 1986 Buick T-Type designer series

car specs: 50# injectors, flowmaster catback dual exhaust, test pipe, new stock turbo, stock downpipe, stock intercooler, k&n cone filter with shiny straight pipe, adjustable fuel regulator, hotwire fuelpump kit, walbro fuel pump, new valvesprings, stock trans, stock rear, adjustable regulator.

computer: Turbotweak 5.6 chip set up for all out race and burned with above mentioned and a TA49 turbo(previous owner never got around to putting this on so it still has the stock turbo). I have no scan tool or laptop or program at this time for any tuning or monitoring. this is where my questions come in.

just owned for about 2 weeks now, this is my second turbo car so not too bad of a rookie but my other one was bone stock 87 with no guages or anything. i want to make this one quick and fun....the previous owner the way the car sets as stated above ran some high 7.60's 1/8th mile at Bowling Green, Ky this past year. So i know the car already runs pretty good for what it is.

i have guages so i know my boost right now is 18lbs, my temp runs fine, oil pressure, etc...but thats all i know. i can hear any knock at full throttle at all, but do you always hear what the scantools say? i want to push this car to its limits, 22-23 lbs of boost, timing, fuel, etc...and run the best that i can with what i have above. the stock turbo is new so i hate to replace it just yet with an upgrade. So what are my options? can someone break it down for me or simplify it for me as to know which tool i want to go with or use or how to tune my car the best, most cost effective route.

1. scantool = you basically monitor your system, O2 numbers, knock, boost, fuel, timing, etc.???? and then to adjust anything you manually turn your fuel down under the hood, your boost down under the hood, adjust timing? etc...then recheck your scantool to see where your at on the next run...and watch your guages.

2. you buy a program for a laptop like direct scan, or some of the others, use this hooked to your computer to monitor your passes, but also can use this to turn your fuel down or up, your timing, O2 stuff, etc...right inside the car. per Eric at turbotweak the 5.6 chip is user adjustable, so this makes it possible to never open the hood?

just kind of confused on what to do, safely, and fun. sorta new to all this laptop/scanner tuning, im used to mustangs where you call the company, tell them what you have on your car and they send you a chip in the mail and your done. do i need to have a new chip burnt for my car for what i have? is that cheaper, then i don't adjust anything or? which chip companys are the best for this? any help guys on this would be appreciated. sorry for the book i have written, just want to be sure and not tear anything up and want to enjoy my car and run quick at the same time. i wouldn't mind to have it set on "kill" and leave it be, racefuel and all...its not my DD so hammer down.

suggestions? comments? help a new guy out.:confused: :biggrin:

You sound like you have a good handle on things. My advice; 1) stay out of boost/WOT until you have a scan tool. 2) 22 psi isn't pushing it:D 3) alky injection instead of race gas. I use a scanmaster but my car isn't fast. Watch for knock retard, gradually increase boost and adj fueling;)
I run a "race" chip(25 deg in third gear) , 24 spi and no knock. HTH
Ross

IMO , I would go with a powerlogger scan tool first. That will allow you to see how much knock retard you are getting and injector duty cycle. Your TT chip is adjustable from inside the car, so fuel pressure is the only thing you would have to adjust from under the hood. At that boost level, you will probably have to go with and alcohol injection system to see those boost levels on pump gas, or are you running race fuel? Direct Scan is also a very good tool, which I use, but is difficult to make work with newer Windows programs.

not sure Prologger is an option right now, its $600.00....geeeees.

sounds like a scanmaster is more my style...dunno. what is the cheapest place to find one?