Scanmaster 2 questions

squeeze87

Hi all,
I just installed my new Scan Master and have a couple of questions as I' m just learning to tune.
1. What is the difference between scanmaster 2 and 2.1?

2. are o2 volts supposed to fluctuate while just driving around?
I noticed the readings bouncing between 200's to 750 and anywhwere in between while at cruising speed. When i gave it about 3/4 throttle they settled at around 800 which i know is too rich. I dont have an adjustable wastegate so I can't mess with the boost, should i turn down the fp? I have it set at 44 vacuum line off. It seems hard to watch the boost gage, the scan master and the road all at the same time!!

Thank you for helping.

Originally posted by squeeze87
1. What is the difference between scanmaster 2 and 2.1?
See if this helps, boardmember Mr URL has some, if not all, the differences noted on his web page.
Scanmaster Data Stream Definitions
2. are o2 volts supposed to fluctuate while just driving around?
Yes. The O2's should go over and under the magic .450 constantly in normal driving. This tells you that the O2 sensor is healthy, and the ECM is actively adjusting the fueling (from lean to rich) - just like it should be. If your O2 volts get lazy, it's a good indicator that your O2 sensor is going bad.

When i gave it about 3/4 throttle they settled at around 800 which i know is too rich. I dont have an adjustable wastegate so I can't mess with the boost, should i turn down the fp?
Hold on. The optimum O2 volts is dependant on Octane. If running pump gas, you may find you want O2 volts in the 800-810 range at WOT. The common referenced sweet spot of 750-770 is usually only possible with race gas. I run 100 Octane Unleaded only and mine loves 790-800's with that fuel. 760's with the 116. Pump 93, likely low 800's, don't know.

The big key here is knock - did you show any retard when you were getting into it?

Live and breathe your knock readings, associate your knock readings with your O2 volts and tune from there.

Adjustable wastegates can be made for just a few bucks. The vendors should have them for next to nothing.

It seems hard to watch the boost gage, the scan master and the road all at the same time!!
Agreed, that is why I have my Scanmaster mounted next to my boost gauge up on the dash. It makes it easier to keep track of it all for an old guy like me :)

Good Luck,

MileHiGN

Thanks for answering,
Nope I didn't show any knock retard and am running 93 octane Amoco. Maybe I should leave well enough alone for now? I seem to recall seeing 806 as the highest reading. Any suggestons are welcome!

Thanks

More Info

Hi all,
Well, I got a few good hard pulls today with the scan master installed and saw the following:

1. Car makes 16 lbs of boost and I'm running 93 octane fuel.

2. minimum 02 was 765, but 8.9 degrees retard! I never saw the number on the display, only when I hit recall. could this be just at a shift? This was after a third gear run.

I don't really know what all this is telling me, I think I will start running xylene just to be safe. Is knock retard actual knock, or is it timing retard to PREVENT knock? The chip i have is supposed to be good for 93 octane gas. what do you think?

Thanks for helping.

To much. Up the fuel pressure in 1 lb. increments and see what knock you get.

Re: More Info

2. minimum 02 was 765, but 8.9 degrees retard! I never saw the number on the display, only when I hit recall. could this be just at a shift? This was after a third gear run.

By pressing both the recall and the mode buttons at the same time, SM2 will report the MPH that the minimum O2 and Max retard occurred. Don't be worried if they occur at different MPH's.

Compare the MPH's from SM2 with your 1-2 and 2-3 shift points and that will tell you if it occurred at the shift.

Good Luck,

Clean the intercooler, do a top engine clean, make sure your motor mounts are good, and up the fuel pressure to around 800mv or so. I'd start with 2-3 psi. more fuel pressure for your next test.

8.9 and 765 aren't optimal numbers.

Good luck.

salvage v6

Just cleaned the intercooler about a month ago,(valve cover breather leaked into it) motor only has 3000 miles on a rebuild the previous owner did before I bought it. I'll add a couple pound of FP and see what happens. Thanks for the advice:cool: :cool:

KNOCK and octane

Hey Squeeze had the same problem, as my car is set up up similar to yours (36lb inj.afpr,stock turbo, stock down pipe. at 15-16lbs of boost. Using a borrowed SM. I would switch chips from a Pit-bull 93 and a JL 92, the JL has lower timing. The pump gas here is 91 so I would have to mix either xylene or Trick 101, I was trying to keep it 93-95 and I'd still get knock,maybe 2*-3* less with the lower timing chip, it would fluctuate from 7*-14* KR and I'd cringe and back out. Tried increasing fuel pressure to no avail, o2 reading were well within range,was definately not lean. I was bummed out so I kept the boost at 14lbs, which is anemic(yawn) and I'd run the JL chip because of the lower timing and 91 pump gas. The Pit bull has much better throttle response. With the lower timing JL chip the car was a slug. So I decided to try the Pit bull again with a mixture of race gas and pump gas . 1:4 ratio, 1 gal. 116 leaded added to 4 gallons of 91 unleaded, which comes out to approx. 96 octane. Took her out left static FP at 42.5#s , ran her at 16 pounds, )02's .820,KR 0, bumped up boost another lb., and basically the same readings, so I bumped the boost to 18lbs, again readings were basically the same 02's .810-.820. So at this point I thought I was running rich so I decreased static FP to 41#s, 02's went up to .830, KR 1. At this point I sneaked her up to 19lbs, 02's .805-.815, KR 1-1.9(hopefully shift points 2nd-3rd) So I bumped her up again to 20lbs and I get the close to the same readings have'nt seen more then 2* s KR at WOT and she's right at .800-.810. This has been my experience in trying to deal with the same situation. Was getting plenty of fuel(hot-wired 340) it just didn't have the octane and lead that she needed. She likes at least 96 leaded blend, she handles the archaic high timing Pit bull chip, and she ain't a KNOCKED up SLUG anymore. My mind is at peace not having to see and cringe at all the KNOCK RETARD she used to produce. Mile High runs straight 101 unleaded, I can't afford to run it. It was cheaper to blend race gas then to even blend 101 or xylene for that matter, and I'm running more boost then I ever dreamed of running on the street, with a HIGH timing ATR Pit-Bull chip that most catergorize as old technology. Altitude here is around 5200 ft so getting dynamics(increased timing = better throttle response and quicker turbo spool-up) to go faster sure helps when there ain't AIR here like at sea level. Boy 20lbs is sure alot more fun then 14-15lbs of BOOST !:cool: