You can type here any text you want

Security System killing battery... HELP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HI85WH1

Shhh... I've got a Secret
OK... part of it is I hardly drive the darn thing... but thats beside the point :biggrin:

It seems the OE security system is "supposed" to flash the light, then shutoff. My problem is the light stays ON once I close the door, subsequently killing the battery. :frown:

Any thoughts, insight, snide remarks? (Here they come!):eek:

Check the door jamb switches, door lock cylinder switches, tan wire and light blue wires for shorts to ground.

If they are okay and no shorts to ground or open circuits, it could also be a bad controller, rare but sometimes they go bad.

I'd start with the door jamb switches.

Search feature should bring up more info. as well as the wiring diagram in the factory service manual which is the best way to troubleshoot the system.

Wire colors are for 87 cars I listed.

Just take the light bulb out in the dash. Cured my problem. It doesn't do anything but drain the battery anyway.

Check the door jamb switches, door lock cylinder switches, tan wire and light blue wires for shorts to ground.

If they are okay and no shorts to ground or open circuits, it could also be a bad controller, rare but sometimes they go bad.

I'd start with the door jamb switches.

Search feature should bring up more info. as well as the wiring diagram in the factory service manual which is the best way to troubleshoot the system.

Wire colors are for 87 cars I listed.

Thanks... If I leave the doors unlocked the light flashes and shuts off. It's never far from me anyway... at least not for long.

I have an 86 service manual... should be the same.

Interior light is not on, so jamb switches should be good.

It may be the passenger door switch. I'll go fiddle with it at work tonight.

I believe the door jamb switches have two circuits on them, certainly two sets of wires even if one switch.

One broken wire off the alarm switches shorting to metal ground where they reside will cause your problem and not activate the interior light.

Lube them a bit before you unscrew them and take a look.

You can manually lock the doors without activating the alarm. ;)

Read the manual and do the procedure exactly for the section listed which is exactly for your problem of light on when alarm activated after shutting doors.

Should be a relatively simple solution if you are thorough.

Rob,

If you don't drive the car the SEC light will kill the battery because its bulb not a led

he factory SEC is located above the gas pedal you can disconnect it and toss it away :eek:

Rob,

If you don't drive the car the SEC light will kill the battery because its bulb not a led

he factory SEC is located above the gas pedal you can disconnect it and toss it away :eek:

OK J...

I just called and left you VM... gotta disable this OE one and bring you the car to replace that other POS alarm in there that I dont have the remotes for... :mad:

Call me when you get a chance.

Rob

I found the schematic and the troubleshooting guide in the service manual (its an 85 Manual but should still be the same)

GM sells everything you need. I believe the parts are from a mid '80's Caddy. Salvagev6/turbofish38 helped me out this past summer with a similar issue. The GM part #'s are, #9632753 for the lock case ( just transfer your old guts ), and 20496885 for the black caps that snap onto the outside of the cylinder. Brian

GM sells everything you need. I believe the parts are from a mid '80's Caddy. Salvagev6/turbofish38 helped me out this past summer with a similar issue. The GM part #'s are, #9632753 for the lock case ( just transfer your old guts ), and 20496885 for the black caps that snap onto the outside of the cylinder. Brian

Cool.... :)

Thanks... I know a locksmith... so I'll let him swap the parts... just gotta get the lock case... I know he has the outer ring and trap door(he refaced all the locks on my MCSS when I repainted that 4 years ago) and all the tools to do the fun stuff.

There is not any special tools or talent to switching the cylinder. Takes about a minute.

There is not any special tools or talent to switching the cylinder. Takes about a minute.

There are 2 different styles of faces...

1 has 4 tabs that joe blow can install.

1 has to actually be crimped on using a special tool. (I prefer this style)

Back