You can type here any text you want

Series II 3800 in a 1972 Nova???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bing98

Any thoughts on how to accomplish a 3800 series II into a 1972 Nova? I was going to swap in an LT1 from a late model Camaro. This can be done quite easily. I have done my research and have found all the resources necessary to make this happen.

I love my 97 Bonneville with its 3800 so it got me thinking. I thought it would be cool to have an L67 supercharged 6 in my classic. After researching this I found it can be done but with extensive mods. The FWD 3800 accesory/pulley locations interfere with the frame and the supercharger intake extends so far back that you have to cut a hole in the firewall.

I thought maybe a rwd v6 out of a camaro/firebird would do the trick. If the LT1 swap is so straight forward why not the 3800?

I found the resources to swap an L67 supercharger to the L36, but I can't find anything on the engine swap itself.

My intention the plan is to start small. This car has a 100hp straight 6. I could spend 1000 to 1500 to add a bunch of power goodies and we only get to a little over 200 hp. That's twice the power so the car should move pretty good. You can get a lot more hp, up to 600, out of the straight six but it become much more difficult after this point.

With the 3800 I already have the 200 hp. Add the eaton and i'm up to 250. As you know this is stock hp and simple odds improve on this immensly.

All I want to do is get it up and running and then eventually break it down and make it really move out. I want to be able to cruise in this thing and have some fun while I restore the rest of it.

There's this guy out there that did a great job putting an l67 into an older rwd cutlass, but the mods he had to make were extensive. So, I feel that starting with the l36 rwd set up from an f body is a good route for me as you can already easily swap the lt1 from these cars.

Get a swap kit that uses a 4th Gen Camaro LT1 or LS1 should allow you to clear the F-body L36 oilpan. My suggestion would be to go with a full front clip from the aftermarket since the steering and suspension on those little econoboxes is bad enough as it is with a 100hp I6, trippling that and your in for a telephone pole greeting experience more than likely. You will need an Australian M90 blower setup as they are still RWD and will be more likely to cear the firewall. My suggestion would be go get a complete L67 or L32 supercharged short block and harness, a 96+ F-body heads, PCM, flexplate, oilpan and tranny, an HPTuner software editor, an L26 metal intake and just run a centrifugal supercharger kit for an F-body instead of the eaton. That would be much easier to get to clear everything and if it'll clear the LS1 stuff is shouldn't have any problems clearing L36/26 stuff.

Back