You can type here any text you want

Setting timing during reassembly

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Guys, I've torn down my 109 for a rebuild. I have to disassemble the front cover and clean everything out. I got some bearing material all over the motor, which is the reason for the rebuild. A couple of questions:

1. On the front cover, I've pulled the four bolts that hold the oil adapter to the housing, but the adapter wont come off. Any thoughts here? Do I have to pull the cam timing thingy off the shaft and pull the whole thing apart to clean?

2. After cleaning and reassembly of everything, how do I go about setting the block up for firing? How do i get the cam timing back in place? Where do I set everything at for initial fire-up?

Thanks.

I think there's five bolts for the pump. Look at the area the the filter hides. As far as the cam timing goes you can either degree it or just line the dots up on the gears.

Thanks, guys. I'll look at the cover again tomorrow.

Is there any way to set cam timing without purchasing one of the casper's cam timing tools?

How is the Ignition timing set?

cam timing

If you're talking about setting the timing after the engine is rebuilt you must first be sure you've lined up the cam and crank as blackbandit said. To properly time the cam sensor you will need a cam sensor positioning tool. You can buy one from Fullthrottle for $31 plus shipping or make your own for $5. (See my post under Parts for Sale) Here's the instructions that come with the tool.
1. Drop the cam sensor with bottom dot facing passenger side.
2. Set damper 25 degrees ATDC (1-15/32") on #1 cylinder power stroke.
3. Rotate sensor counter-clockwise to get leading edge of light to come on.
4. Clamp down sensor.
Unlike a distributor no other adjustment or timing light is needed. The ECM takes care of the rest.

Lets say you pulled the front cover off to replace a leaky gasket, and you didn't line up the dots on the cam and crank gears before you put it all back together. I never rotated the crank or anything, how do I go about getting the cam sensor adjusted in this situation?

Lets say you pulled the front cover off to replace a leaky gasket, and you didn't line up the dots on the cam and crank gears before you put it all back together. I never rotated the crank or anything, how do I go about getting the cam sensor adjusted in this situation?

You'd just set the engine to TDC on number 1 (the crank key should be about 2 o'clock) and then install the gears and turn the cam until the dot's line up. You could (and it's always a good idea) degree the cam but you probably don't have the card anyway so your best bet is probably to just line the dots up.

87Buickman,
If all you did was pull the front cover and didn't mess with the timing chain assembly (cam sprocket, crank gear and chain) and the motor was running fine before, then the cam and crank should still be in synk. If you still just want to check it, then rotate the crank with a wrench till the timing mark on the dampner lines up with zero and the #1 piston is on power stroke. The dots on the cam sprocket and the crank gear should be lined up. So, put the cover back on and follow the steps in my 5/3/08 note. I suppose if you've never done it before there's a learning curve but this is basic to almost any engine assembly.

I guess I'm getting old:( Of course you can't look at the dots with the front cover on!! Don't know what I was thinking. Just do what blackbandit says but still follow the cam positioning steps.

Back