You can type here any text you want

Setting up Crank Trigger

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bigpsi94

Im in the process of installing the fast ecu onto my 1988 5.0 stang. So far i have removed the upper manifold and mounted the air, coolant, tps & map senor. I have a question about the msd crank trigger that I bought. From what I have read / been told I should put the engine at 50 degrees btdc and mount the trigger wheel. Go into the settings in ccom and put the 50 degrees btdc. Is this correct? Also how do i set the distributor? From what I understand the distributor will only fires the plugs now whereas before it was used to set timing & fire plugs.

Thanks in advance.

You're correct. Find TDC then rotate it back to 50 degrees BTDC. Set the pickup so that it's dead center top to bottom and side to side. Then screw in the pickup and set it with about a .065 air gap. Now.........determine how much total timing you'll run at your torque peak. On my car, that's 26 degrees. Rotate the engine forward to 26 degrees. Put the cap on the distributor and mark on the outside of the distributor where the middle of the #1 spark terminal is. Now stab the distributor and line up the rotor with the mark you just made. Voila! You're almost done. From here you can crank the motor, set your timing at say 20 degrees across the timing map(I created a timing.gct calibration just for this which raises the idle to 2000rpm also) and put a timing light on it. Here's the confusing part(sometimes).......if you're timing light does not read 20 degrees, add or subtract from crank offset in FAST until it does. Now shut the motor off and start widening your crank trigger air gap by .05. Start the motor. If it starts, widen it another .05. You want to keep widening the air gap until it doesn't want to light off and then go back .05. With a good ignition on a Mustang, that might be as high as .080. I hope that helps you out. At first, it seems a little daunting. But once you do it all once, you realize is pretty easy. Good luck.

"On my car, that's 26 degrees. Rotate the engine forward to 26 degrees". Is that 26 degrees BTDC? Havent had much time to mess with this yet. Will try it this weekend. Thanks for your help

Back