You can type here any text you want

Seventh Injector....History?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lee_Burough

..Never Forget..
Staff member
Not long ago I ran into a local GN with a 7th injector setup installed. Mostly all we see now about the 7th injector is in the Parts For Sale section.

Questions:
- What were the gains from a 7th injector?
- Were the 7th injectors popular when injector size was more limited than now?
-When was the 7th injector the "current" best modification?

TIA to the "old heads" who respond :)

leeb

Originally posted by lburou
Not long ago I ran into a local GN with a 7th injector setup installed. Mostly all we see now about the 7th injector is in the Parts For Sale section.
Questions:
- What were the gains from a 7th injector?
- Were the 7th injectors popular when injector size was more limited than now?
-When was the 7th injector the "current" best modification?

There are several different types of 7th injector.
Personally I run the ATR one.

Like everything else there are good ways of executing a design, and then some that leave something to be desired.

I installed an ATR setup a decade ago on a friends car, and with a 36PPH, and the stockers, it made all the difference in being able to run *fast*. But, chips were much less refined then they are now.

Now, I run mine full time, and have accounted for that extra fuel in the actual chip programming. Done right it's still a good way to add some fuel, but it's not the best way to add alot of fuel, IMO.

Again, this is all ATR specific.

I too run a 7th injector ;)

But a differnt kind of fuel runs through mine.

Originally posted by Razor
I too run a 7th injector ;)

But a differnt kind of fuel runs through mine.

:D;) Once my motor is done I think I'll be going your route :D

Some of it might have to do with how expensive injectors used to be. If I remember right my MSD 50's I bought way back when where close to $500. I think now they're closer to $300. I always kind of thought a 7th injector was a throw fuel at it kind of deal, so I was never interested in it. Some guys did go fast with that set up thjough. There was a dude I met about 5 yrs ago at the nats with a bunch of done at home mods. He was running 2 extra injectors! He was running like 105 mph in the 1/8th.

HTH: Jason

We are 15-17 years out from the introduction of the LC2 engine.

A number of interesting "done at home" mods, and breakthrough technologies have come and gone. Its interesting to me to hear "How it used to be" and, how challenges were met to make these cars go so fast. :)

I figured the fuel flow thing out myself, but hadn't made the connection about chip technology in the evolution of fueling the really fast cars. Thanks Bruce, for the insight :) When did that chip technology take off?

lee

Originally posted by lburou
Thanks Bruce, for the insight :) When did that chip technology take off?

It's still evolving.

For along time, no one really knew what was in the Prom. Scott Sealander, and Mile Pitts did an incredible think and actually read thru the .bin file, and figured out a great deal about it. Which then lead to the Product called Tweaker. Once that was off and running then folks had a way to get in and start doing anything to the chip. The over at GNType there someone posted a commented section of the code with all the tuning variables.

Then over in the parallel universe at DIY-EFI there was programming 101. Which lead the way on some more info., about what was in the code.

And it's only been the last couple years that folks have begun understanding and tuning the MAF area of the chip.

Not to mention that it's only been the last few years where WBs have been accessible other then to the Rockefellers of the group.

Not to mention the Translator (and extreme chips), and ME-R stuff
where the oem ecm is just more and more the box with the processor.

Back