shifting too hard!!

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
My brothers new turbo buick came with a http://www.transmissioncenter.net/200-4R.htm reptoid tranny. The thing shifts way too hard. He just managed to break another piece in it, and is having bruce send him a hardened part. ($250) I don't know trannys, so not sure what it is. This thing will chirp the tires going into 2nd at idle.

Sounds like the tranny was rigged after it came from the transmission center, something about an area being drilled out and "nuts" stacked up to make it shift harder. I know this is very vague and less than optimal info, but can someone tell me what he might be able to do to fix this?

This is an easy one....
The torque converter stalls too low.
What stall is in it?
Unless it is at least 2,800-3,000 it will shift too hard.
Mine did the same thing, Bruce never let me live it down that I complained that it shifted too hard!
Get a converter, you'll be fine.

did that. The tranny has been in and out 2 or 3 times over the last week.

This thing will bark 4th gear at part throttle.

I had a similar problem with my car, and it was the reason the guy was selling it, it shifted way to hard and the wife told him to sell it. From what i remember a vac hose was pinched. Fixed the vac hose and it would still bark the tires at 3/4 throttle, but at 1/4 throttle or normal driving it was a lot smoother.

sounds like someone has drilled the separator plate feed holes to big or blocked off/shimmed the accumulators (or better yet, possibly both ideas).

They only way to find out why is to take out the tranny and pull the valve body and remove the 3-4 accumulator housing. something is screwy.

I cant tell you where to look, because there is so many places to mod to make it shift hard. but I will try to list some ideas.

-Feed holes to big in separator plate (requiers replacement)
-Blocked accumulators (a 1/4 cup plug in the feed for the 3-4 housing, remove to soften shift.)
-spacers in accumulators (either washers or nuts, sometimes a piece of 2" pipe underneath, remove to soften shift)

unorthodox overhaul procedures driven by a mind that doesnt truly understand the 2004r scores another point ,or a kick in the u joints for the car owner.