Should i replace the pistons??

Replace pistons due to .008 piston to wall clearance.

• Use old pistons

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Replace piston with a custom set

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

daverr

My piston to wall clearance on my stage 2 is .008" .should i replace the piston with a custom set to bring the motor back into specification? or use the old ones.

.008 is too much clearance IMHO.... .0045 to .005 is more normal IMHO for forged pistons... bore it .020 or .030 and get some new slugs. It isn't worth it to poor boy a stage II setup....

Boring will not be necessary as u could get custom size pistons from JE that should take up the slack.cylinders are at 4.020" right now i dont know how much more u could bore the stage 2 block.

You dont buy pistons to match your bore. Always buy pistons, and bore to the size of the piston the get the correct cylinder to wall clearence. Piston size is never perfect.

You dont buy pistons to match your bore. Always buy pistons, and bore to the size of the piston the get the correct cylinder to wall clearence. Piston size is never perfect.

What he said..... I've never heard of trying to do it the other way..... besides... if your cylinders are worn out ot .008 now... I am sure they aren't round anymore. They need to be bored and honed with a torque plate..... If they can't be bored anymore..... save up and put 6 new sleaves in it. I have a friend with a stage II motor... he did that.... now his is std bore.... with 6 round holes.... a good place to start....