You can type here any text you want

should i swap cams

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shocker998md

alright guys heres the scoop. ive got my motor on the stand, 90k on it and it has the factory cam in it. Should i leave the factory cam in it and run it untill i have the money for a 206/206 roller? Or should i pop in a flat tappet 206/206

the only reason that im thinking about putting in another flat tappet is because i have no clue if the previous owner kept up with zddp in the oil, so for all i know the cam could be on its way out.

my set up for the car will be whats in my signature, and then a 2800 stall, ported and polished heads,intake,dog house,headers,factory intercooler. Factory turbo for the time being. My goals for when i get the car back together will be low 12's and then when i swap the turbo i want low 11s.

what is everyones two cents? keep the factory cam or swap to a new flat tappet. Eventually i WILL be going to a roller, but thats later on down the road.

I was in the same delimma when I did my rebuild a few weeks ago. I actually bought a CompCams 212/212 flat tappet kit. I got "cold feet" after reading all the horror stories of wiped lobes. I just bit the bullet and got the roller.

Put "wiped" in the search engine and that will probably steer you away from aftermarket flats.

A cam would be one of my first mod's. The stock cam is very mild IMO. Go roller of course. I know people have been in the 10's..... just saying, I saw a huge improvement overall with the DLS roller kit.

Cam

I was in the same situation. I went back stock on my car and it runs 11's no problem. When I do a engine rebuild I will go roller all the way. I just had a little head work done, alky,turbo tweak chip.

i will be going roller later on down the road.

Right now im just worried about the condition of my factory cam due to me not knowing if the previous owner kept up with good oil in it with zinc. he didnt drive it much so it should be alright. Hopefully she doesnt wipe after i get the motor all put back together. i guess we will see

If the intake is off you can see the lobes. If not, since it's on a stand, remove it and inspect. Nows a good time to get fresh intake gaskets and reseal it all. My car has 54k and I was shocked at the excellent condition my cam/lifters/timing chain was at teardown. I now have the 206/206 cam and it idles nice and smooth. I would've left the stock cam except I chipped the cam tooth accidently.

intake is off, along with the heads to get ported and cleaned up.

When i pulled the engine i drained the oil, and ive never had any metal shavings at any oil change.

what exactly should i look for besides scratches, if there are any problems should they stick out like a sore thumb?

intake is off, along with the heads to get ported and cleaned up.

When i pulled the engine i drained the oil, and ive never had any metal shavings at any oil change.

what exactly should i look for besides scratches, if there are any problems should they stick out like a sore thumb?

Remove the lifters one at a time and check them for wear. Id go the roller route myself.

bison ive chatted with you a few times about this ordeal that im at right now....whos got the best deal for a roller set up right now? I know mike at full throttle sells em and i believe cottens sells them too. Do you know of anybody else that sells them? ill price them out and then shuffle some money around and see what i can do.

on a side note, if i did swap cams should i change out all the cam bearings or just the front? and if all of the bearings get replaced doesnt a machine shop have to do that, or am i way out in left field on that one.

Back