You can type here any text you want

Should there be a breather on both valve covers ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaone

I have seen buick engines with breathers on both valve covers.
My TTA only has a breather(K&N filter) on the drivers side. The
passenger side has a solid valve cover(no holes) Is this ok or
should I have a breather on both sides :confused:

Thanks
James

No, yours is fine. If you really want another breather, get another driver side valve cover and that should take care of it. I thought about it becasue of some blow-by but it doesn't really do it anymore.:confused:

HTH,

I ran a breather where the Turbo Sucker used to go on the upper side of the VC. When the car started getting into the mid 11s I started blowing out the oilpan seal under boost in 3rd gear and would leak oil. I put a removed the Oil Cap and used a Breather thats made by Metco specifially for the TTA and that cured all the problems.

Thanks for the reply TTA89, could you tell me where the turbo
sucker used to go(which v/c) ? Is it the hole behind the oil fill
cap toward the fire wall?, if so that is where I have a k&n filter
now. I would like to get a breather on my fill cap like you have
also. I will call Metco tomorrow.

James

Yep you got it, that tube that ran from the drivers VC to the Turbo. Sounds like yours is already blocked off with a breather but you should add another and replace the cap.

Make sure you specify TTA as they are different for the GN.

Yes, Metco made them for John and last time I looked they were cheaper through Metco.

:cool:

What breathers are you using??

I pulled t DS covers from yard cars and had tubes welded in them. I then used 2 baffled K&N clamp on breathers. The welded in tube gives me a clamping surface. Now I no longer blow oil out the RMS, I burp it out of the VC. I collects in the breather paper which then runs down the inside of the baffle on to the manifolds. The baffle does not connect at teh bottom of the filter so that the oil will run back into the VC hole.

Brent

Can you get some pics up on that set up? Can't seem to picture it in my head. Sounds like it works though.

Thanks,

Very nice under there.:) I like how you got the MBC attached to the IC hose. I need to go to the junk yard now.

Junk yard?? OK, I'm lost. I actually made the mount for that MBC from a rail that goes into a communications rack used in computer and phone switch rooms. A little cutting, beveling with a grinder, and a little drilling to open up some holes. I picked up some extra nylon lock nuts like are used on the stainless clamps. The MBC mount is sandwiched between 2 sets of nuts so that it is spaced off of the hose.

Brent

I meant to go to the junkyard to get another driver side valve cover.;) If you don't mind, could I use your idea on the MBC? Looks alot cleaner like that.

No problem on the MBC. I may have some close ups some place but it is not all that difficult. The angle I was using has full of holes so it was just a matter of cutting a section then moving the clamps a little to get them to line up. Othere than that I did have to drill the large center hole to mount the MBC in. I actullay took out the bottom fitting from the "T", added a washer on the bottom to take up the slack, then threaded the fitting back into the "T". Before doing this I did cut the corners off the the one side and I softened the edges with a Dremel.

Brent

Back