Sister's house got robbed how to be more safe??

I wish I could but I am highly allergic to dogs that shed. I have a real killer right now a 4 lb toy poodle. The alarm will be installed in the morning I filled out all the paper work today everything is free execpt 70.00 for wiring to the garage, because I have to protect my pride and joy. montioring is 24.95 a month and I get 5-10 percent off home owner insurance. I have to pay first month tomorrow and the 70 for the garage. The house is prewired so that is nice.

I work at night, while everyone else is sleeping in the house. We had an alarm system installed by a family member, so a break in is covered. But after my sister's car was stolen from our driveway, I looked into securirty camera's and didn't want to spend a lot. So I ended up with an X10 flloodlight cam with built in motion detector. Using their vcr comander, the camera turned on the floodlights and recorded once motion was detected. Unfortunately, the floodlight cam was fried due to a power surge. So now I have their night vision camera watching my driveway and front house entrance. No motion detector with this camera, so I have my vcr record while I'm working. I hooked up a set of floodlights to an aftermarket motion detector. Once moton is detected my driveway and front of house light up like a xmas tree while the camera's been recording everything.

I may add another camera, and two of their motion detectors in the future, to secure the entire house. Some nice equipment, I've never had a problem with them.

Hi Rob, can you tell me about how much it is for installation of a home system? Typical 1600 sf house, 4 doors, apprx 6 windows. I would want glass protection on at least 1 of them, and an outside speaker for the alarm, probably a keypad at the front door, and something for the master bedroom. I think monthly monitoring is around $30 a month.
Just an estimate of course, I know you would have to see it first.
Its either that or a dog. Alarm has no cons, and increases value. A dog would probably lower the value over time.

Thanks.

I know how you feel. Back when I was about 13 our house got broke into twice in 2 weeks. They came thru the doggie door into the garage, and then used a screw driver to get into the house door from the garage. We had a German Shepard dog, so we suspect it was someone we knew or had been over before. Also why the dog door was big enough for a thin guy to get into.

The first time they just took small stuff, jewelry and money. The second time, I walked in on them, didn't see them, but came in the door and heard a bunch of noise, ran out and to the neighbors to call police. They didn't get much the second time, but there was all kinds of stuff piled at the back door...no truck or van, I guess they were hauling it out the back door and down the alley way to some apartments behind our house...or it was our next door neighbors, they were seedy as well.

Anyway, no more dog door after that, and we got an alarm. Even an alarm that is not monitored will work. The thief will not know if the alarm is monitored or not, and even if it is, it will take the police 30 minutes to show up anyway from the time it goes off and the thieves know that. A full system can be built for about $500, get as many of the loudest speakers you can find, have them in the house as well as outside. Motion lights around the perimeter of the house also.
If someone wants in, they will get in no matter what you do, but a re-enforced steel door frame will prevent them from just kicking in the door like they did.

In our case the police did nothing, they did recover a camera at a pawn shop but that was it.
I would think they could have lifted prints on the stereo they left or door knobs, but a smart theif probably wears gloves.

If your state has a right to carry law, get a gun and don't leave home without it, I would not hesitate to kill anyone taking my property.

Originally posted by RyansGNdoes10s
I wish I could but I am highly allergic to dogs that shed. I have a real killer right now a 4 lb toy poodle.
We have a 70 lb standard poodle that barks louder than a German Shepard thats pretty protective...doesn't look like a mean dog :) but teeth are teeth...and they do not shed either. Hehe I can see the newspaper headline now "Theif attacked and killed by giant poodle" :D

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
We have a 70 lb standard poodle that barks louder than a German Shepard thats pretty protective...doesn't look like a mean dog :) but teeth are teeth...and they do not shed either. Hehe I can see the newspaper headline now "Theif attacked and killed by giant poodle" :D

Yeah My sister has a standard poodle and a few mini's also but I just have the toy. She doesnt live in the house so no dogs where there, but I would hate if the theif stole the pets like the guy from the show it takes a theif (he stole the ladies snake that one time knowing it was worth some money). My moms friend who breeds show toy poodles had her house broken in to just for the dogs, she recovered a few but not all of them.

motion sensors of all sorts . warning you have violated the area
anything that will make the burgular think about moving on to the next target. definitly a nice size dog on the inside works well if he buy passes the electronics. good luck hope they (home owners)catch the sc*m bags and they get what they deserve for violating what you and your family work hard for.

Hey Vader, I'm in Breckenridge Snowboarding til Apr. 4th. The Internet connection here is slow so I'm only on every couple days. If you are in a rush go ahead and get some bids and I'll let you know whats fair. Just don't sign anything til I get back. I'll PM you when I return.

Nothing will stop crazies. I had a my home invaded last year. I say invaded because that's what it feels like. The theif opened the bedroom door where my Great Danes stay when I'm at work and was greeted with two 170lb dogs. That must have done the trick because when I came home the front door was open and the dogs were outside. Sadly, I think one of the dogs took a few good kicks and it hurt him but the other cleaned up. Though if you have dogs they won't protect from people they know unless they are trained to when you're gone.

Now we have a security system, but like I said nothing will stop the crazies. That's why I'm considering a maching gun turret with a motion/thermal detector that requires an eye scan an voice recognition system to deactivate. ;)

Originally posted by 2QUIK6

If your state has a right to carry law, get a gun and don't leave home without it, I would not hesitate to kill anyone taking my property.

Better watch that one unless you live in Texas. Texas is the only state that allows you to defend your property. If you shoot and kill someone when you are not defending yourself, you could get prosecuted for murder.

No Bull.

Of course, they would have to get a jury to convict. Recently, here in AZ, a guy shot a mexican trying to steal his car. They had broke into his house a few nights before and had taken his car keys, so he waited for them to return. They did. He shot and killed the guy. The cops arrested him for murder but the DA dropped the charges because they knew that no jury would convict him.

Something they emphasize in the ccw courses... that it must be in self defense - you must be in fear for your life.

Vic

Originally posted by AZ Vic
Better watch that one unless you live in Texas. Texas is the only state that allows you to defend your property. If you shoot and kill someone when you are not defending yourself, you could get prosecuted for murder.

Yes, very true, I forgot about that since I live in Texas. But my comment was mainly in the case if you walked into your house and found someone in it. In which case I would not hesitate to shoot..as long as the thief doesn't run outside after you shoot him. I think that would be a case where no DA would prosecute, I think anyone in your house that way would be considered life threatening.

You know, the more I hear about Texas the more I like it. :)

BANG BANG, give me back my weedwacker theif! :D

Originally posted by bishir
You know, the more I hear about Texas the more I like it. :)
If you have a TR, come on down.....If you have an import, get the #!@% out :D