slick ways to hook up a scanmaster

lyonsd

I want to get a 3-wire coupler so I can just plug and unplug the Scanmaster at will. I went to RadioShack and they were useless. I went to a local parts store and they didn't have anything either.

Anybody have any idea where I can get a three-wire coupler for use with a Scamaster? Thanks.

Do a search on Radio Shack here, there should be a thread with the coupler part numbers on it.

4 pin microphone connectors In-Line type.

I am just getting ready to do this based on a recent post. Exactly what SalvageV6 said. The part numbers for the 4 pin microphone connectors are 274-001 and 274-002. I just need to decide where to drill the hole to mount the connection. I have an extra switch in the ashtray not being used so I thought I could run the power through that for an on/off switch with the scanmaster still hooked up to the 4 pin connector (it has a screw attachment that locks it from unconnecting).

So there is my idea before I start the project, I have the parts. Email me direct with ideas/questions if you want or post here for everyone to learn. I think this will be a much better look instead of my portable SM cord hanging over the center console.

I just used 2 male/female connectors and of course the signal wire into the ALDL. Just plug in and go in either car.

I have another (but similar) solution...

A trip to a different Radio Shack netted me these results:

A 1/8" Stereo 3-conductor phone plug, part number 274-284 for the male, and 274-274 for the female.

Will require a little solder.

274-284

A computer molex power connector is another option. It uses three wires. It the power connector that connects to hard drives and CD Roms.

I completed the project for both my cars, see my previous post on parts. Just an update on the location for anyone interested. I located the hookup to the bottom right of the steering column on the plastic dash panel under the steering column. The panel can be removed by two screws in the bottom of the panel and the connection is on the 45 degree portion on the right of the panel.

I wired the power through a switch in the ashtray so the SM can be turned off when you don't need it. I just turn mine on when its needed, full boost. This setup looks much better with the SM leads going to the new connection instead of with the portable cig plug connection I was using, with the wires hanging over the console and having to plug the connection spade into the ADL every time. BTW you can splice into the ADL connection behind the factory plug in by cutting the orange wire, second from the left in the ADL.

If anyone at BG wants to see some details or has questions, I will be at Motel V6 and at the car show Friday with a Dark Red Metallic T.

Thanks

Tim....Thank You for the Part #'s, and information....I went into Radio Shack tonite, and there it was...Spent some time soldering, and after an hour or so (I like to wire things up so they are hidden) I have the slick one plug Scanmaster hook up.

Im thrilled that I don't have that big Cig lighter plug sticking out, and that I can turn scanmaster on and off when I wish (I hooked it up to a plug in the switch plate as well).

Thanks again!

The Plug is about 1" out of the "driver side under dash panel" It is all the way over to the right hand side of it, and it cannot be seen when looking at the car.....to connect it, and reconnect it all I have to do is reach down...unscrew the little nut, and pull...it looks great!

I plan on making another one (connector, and harness)....this one will have the cig lighter, and ALDL pin in it so that I can just disconnect the scanmaster from the car, and connect it to the connector with the cig lighter and pin. This 2nd harness will be great to use when a local, or a "new" local GN owner wants to make some first runs down the track!

Excellent idea! While doing this project, I thought, it will not work on other cars. I'll just use my leftover cig plugin and ECM spade plugin and attach to another radio shack connector like you said. I have used my scan tool in other vehicles, so that will be perfect.