Slow second-third shifting problem

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi!

I´m wondering about my second-third shifting, tranny was rebuilt last year. I think the changes was the same before the rebuilt but i´m not sure, you know the swedish brian by now..... ;-)
Anyway, its very slow with the Thrasher 92 chip but if i put in the strip chip with lock up its faster, also faster with the 92 and a paper clip.
Could this be an electrical problem or some strange mechanical thing in the tranny?

Thanks,

Uffe Ericson
Secretary of TACS Board
TTA #1359 1 of 2 in Sweden
e-mail: 021.335004@telia.com

Uffe,

I think what you're describing is the dreaded 2-3 flare shift. In this case the shift isn't crisp and hangs between gears. My experience has been that this is indicative of a bad direct clutch pack in the trans which doesn't make sense if the trans was recently rebuilt.

In regard to your statement about the Thrasher race chip vs the street chip and the paper clip trick I think you are confusing yourself by locking the torque convertor as a band aid fix for your shifting problem. The chip doesn't control shift timing or firmness just when the torque convertor locks up.

Just as a question have you checked you fluid level lately? Make sure it is full HOT and add 1 extra quart. The extra quart of fluid will prevent starvation at wide open throttle. Also you might want to post your question in the Transmission Tech forum if you haven't done so yet.

Good Luck

Neal

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Also you might want to post your question in the Transmission Tech forum if you haven't done so yet.

Good Luck

Neal

Thanks, i missed the transmission area. Post there as well.

Hey Uffe. I just had the same problem and it was the TV cable (throttle valve cable). It was broken when the motor was worked on so a new one was put on and it needed adjustment. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Shaun

Hi Shaun!

Huh? TV cable broken? Let me see now......TV cable, is it the one that you can adj. the shiftings with and mounted on the plenum?

Thanks!