You can type here any text you want

smell of anti freeze under WOT

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mytta49

SInce I purchased the car a couple of months ago, I noticed that when in first gear and I fully accelerate, there is a smell of anti freeze.
I am not leaking anything on the ground, the car doesnt smoke and my antifreeze level stays the same, but I did add about a pint several weeks ago to the resevoir.
Any ideas ? Does this sound like a head gasket or would I be seeing more of a leak or smoke if it was a head gasket.
Thanks

I'd check the headgasket.

Are you loosing coolant? Did you check the oil for contamination, etc.

I haven't been in this for a while, but I recall it's possible you have a slightly wormholed gasket leak into the cylinder that wouldn't show in your oil.

Razor & the others would know better.....

Originally posted by mark b

I haven't been in this for a while, but I recall it's possible you have a slightly wormholed gasket leak into the cylinder that wouldn't show in your oil.

Yea, kinda. What can happen Mark is the head can lift a small amount and get some blow by into the cylinder and this allows for a small channel to form in the gasket. What I have seen is not an actual 'blow out', it's just a small stain indicating the coolant is moving thru.

mytta49, there's a few ways to tell if a hd gasket has failed-

1. check for any spitting out of the tail pipe. This can show up very lightly and evaporate pretty fast so, have someone start the car for you will you watch the tail pipe. You will be able to see it and feel it with your hand.

2. pull the plugs and check for one being very clean as opposed to the others, if coolent is getting into the cylinder, it will steam clean the plug. If a plug actually comes out wet, well, that's not good.

3. you will develope a miss over time.

Be sure to keep an eye on the coolant. Some coolant loss is normal but, if you have to add some in a couple of weeks or so, that's another good indication.

The thing is, the leak can be small enough that you don't see smoke out of the tail pipe, it will be just a wisp of white fog and then gone, for awhile.

THanks for the help. Assuming its a small leak at this time, what is involved in getting it repaired. Such as, do the heads have to be milled or cut, does the engine have to be pulled, is it a very costly job in general, Is it very time consuming for a mechanic to do ?
Thanks again.

Originally posted by mytta49
THanks for the help. Assuming its a small leak at this time, what is involved in getting it repaired. Such as, do the heads have to be milled or cut, does the engine have to be pulled, is it a very costly job in general, Is it very time consuming for a mechanic to do ?
Thanks again.

mytta49, normally, you will just need to buy head gaskets $90, intake manifold gasket $45 and RTV sealant. 1st, make sure that's the problem. If, by chance it is, this is a good time to learn some stuff about your car, don't let it scare you. The motor does not need to come out. The intake comes off, air is removed, turbo removed, headers taken loose from heads. The heads and block will just need to be cleaned with a scraper to remove old gasket meterial and silicone. Oil will need to be drained so you need fresh oil and fresh anti freeze. I've seen guys change head gaskets in a Buick in 5 hours. Do you have any TTA buddies near you? If you have to take it to a shop, find one that has worked on these motors. I suggest that you start trying to get a shop manuel with the TTA supplement. You should be able to find it here http://www.helminc.com.
I'm just guessing but, if you do have to take it to a shop, yer probably lookin at $350 to $400 in labor +parts but, again, MAKE SURE that's what the problem is. There is several places coolant can leak - throttle body hoses, heater hoses, oil cooler. Look close before making this decision.

Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated. I will call Helm and see if they have the manual available and will check for other leaks too.

IMHO, this should not be the first mechanical job you tackle on a car :)

For peace-of-mind, I prefer to have the head checked for flatness/warp. If you get the heads removed, and you don't mind laying the car up for a little while, it would be a great time to get a little porting and polishing done.

How many miles on the car? May want to consider changing the valve springs.

if your smelling it in the car check the heater core.its on passengerside firewall behind the dash..you can pull back carpet a little and see if its damp at all...ive had that problem with several different GTA,s ..and the smell would come and go depending on acceleration..

Back