Smoke machine on the cheap.....

That is pretty cool and a fraction of the cost of one of those machines. Wonder what other sources of 12v/10amps could be used?

That is pretty cool and a fraction of the cost of one of those machines. Wonder what other sources of 12v/10amps could be used?

I'm thinking that instead of the PC power source, 12v off the batt, would be a better idea. Most likely, a smoke test will be done when the vehicle is complete, and more than likely, running.
A set of small clamps off of a junked charger would be good. Wire it to the glow plug, thru a fuse. The box would be smaller, lighter, and less work to make.......:cool:

I built one of these a little while back. It's not bad considering the small amount of time and money. Just one thing - the glow plug's heat, given enough time, will melt the solder out of the can. I probably ran it for three minutes continuously before the solder melted. Limiting the run time to one minute might be all that's needed to keep the solder in place. Or determine what would be an appropriate resistor to limit the current (which would reduce the amount of heat).

The can assembly could also be built from an old A/C accumulator. Weld in some aluminum fittings. What can make this difficult is the need for TIG welding. I don't think an aluminum can assembly could be melted even with a long run time.

Those commercially made smoke machines are very expensive. Not really sure why...it is a simple device.

It funny that this came up, I just made a "smoke machine" to find an exhaust leak on my wife's Jeep Cherokee, But living close to a fireworks store all I did was by some smoke bombs and then took a new unused paint can from Lowes and two pipe threaded barbed fitting, and some tubing.