You can type here any text you want

Smoking on start-up......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kjun

Smokes on start-up only when warm, but runs clean. Much worse when hot then left sitting for about 20 minutes, then started. Engine re-done, new standard moly rings about 1500 miles ago, bores were nice. Any ideas???

Cheers, Randy.

What heads are you running?

most common culprits could be valve seals (champion has exhaust seals) or the turbo

I recently had the same issue, no smoke when cold but after a few minutes it started. Over the course of a month it became a "mosquito fogger", it didn't smoke when I was driving, only when I was at a stop idling . It was the turbo.

Valve guides/seals, turbo, pcv sucking a lot of oil, rings not seated or too much piston to wall clearance, intake manifold not sealing.

Hmmmm..........I'm running stock ported heads with new valve seals. I think I'm leaning towards the turbo..........it's a hybrid PTA-54 with a gt-350 wheel...............I've has oil issues with it in the past, but I had Precision Turbo overhaul it not too long ago.

The easies thing you can do for valve seals is pop the valve cover off and see of the seals rode up the stem

Pop the up pipe and look in the throttle body for oil. If present, pick up a new PCV valve.

I had the same problem recently and pulled the whole setup down. Turbo was checked and wasn't the problem....valve seals were perfect...I have the RJC pcv valve and it sets on the valley pan....well, the way it sits under the intake the turbo drain shoots straight on the valley pan and the pcv sucks it up. The inside of my intake was drenched in oil and pcv hose. Completely didn't see that one coming....so about $1k later for heads and turbo rebuild it was a simple thing...

I had the same problem recently and pulled the whole setup down. Turbo was checked and wasn't the problem....valve seals were perfect...I have the RJC pcv valve and it sets on the valley pan....well, the way it sits under the intake the turbo drain shoots straight on the valley pan and the pcv sucks it up. The inside of my intake was drenched in oil and pcv hose. Completely didn't see that one coming....so about $1k later for heads and turbo rebuild it was a simple thing...

I have a similar issue. Mine smokes on start up and sometimes while coming to a stop it will puff a huge cloud of blue smoke. In the past I had the DP off and there was no oil build up in the turbine outlet. I also pulled the up pipe and didn't see any traces of oil. HOWEVER....what I have noticed is the PCV line (the hard metal line) is often coated with oil, and like eye-opener, I also have one of those $24 RJC brass check valves, but I also have a stock style PCV with less than 20k on it. I have the RJC brass check valve inbetween the stock turbo Buick PCV valve and the throttle body.

That has me wondering, if all the smoking I keep seeing is from the PCV sucking it up and sending it back into the throttle body...???? Is there a fix for this?

"Turbo-T" said:
I have a similar issue. Mine smokes on start up and sometimes while coming to a stop it will puff a huge cloud of blue smoke. In the past I had the DP off and there was no oil build up in the turbine outlet. I also pulled the up pipe and didn't see any traces of oil. HOWEVER....what I have noticed is the PCV line (the hard metal line) is often coated with oil, and like eye-opener, I also have one of those $24 RJC brass check valves, but I also have a stock style PCV with less than 20k on it. I have the RJC brass check valve inbetween the stock turbo Buick PCV valve and the throttle body.

That has me wondering, if all the smoking I keep seeing is from the PCV sucking it up and sending it back into the throttle body...???? Is there a fix for this?

Myself and others on the board run an oil catch can in between the pcv and the intake. It catches whatever oil would have entered the intake. Mine works like a charm with zero issues and does catch some oil. Others on the board might argue against them but to each their own.

Me as well..I'm going to make sure the bottom of the pcv sits higher than on top of the pan as well...

why not plug the pcv line to the vac block then run a extension off the pcv going to some makeshift catch bottle, then put some hours on the motor so u can dry up the oil inside and see if it stops smoking, if it does u know its the pcv thats oiling... if nothing changes about the amount of smoke...u know to keep looking but elsewhere..
have seen people have problems with rjc valve and also china pcv valves

Back