You can type here any text you want

So I decided to set my TPS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

I'm getting ready to switch over to SD2 but I have a car show to get to this weekend so I didn't want to make any changes just yet. I've been doing a lot of reading and most of the info I find say's to set the TPS to 42. Mine was set at 46. On a whim I decided to mess with it tonight while in the shop.

I loosened the 2 screws on the TPS sensor and adjusted it to 42. Of course the idle moved so I adjusted it. Then the TPS moved etc. I messed with this thing for ever. I even had the throttle screw completely off the throttle plate at one time and the car ran. It never really ran bad no matter what I did.

My problem was when I put it in gear and then back in park it wouldn't idle down. Stayed at 1300 rpm ish. So I kept going with no better results. I about threw in the towel but decided to take one more crack at it. I adjusted the throttle blade to where I figured it was just cracked open and adjusted the TPS to 42. Then I tightened the TPS screws back up and it's perfect now.

I guess I had a vacuum leak because I didn't tighten the TPS back down? If this is correct why didn't I find this info in any thread I researched? Maybe I'm and idiot or this must be common knowledge to everyone but me.

It sounds like you painted yourself into a corner. Your original TPS setting at idle was fine. The only thing that makes sense in regard to the high idle is that at some point you must have had the TPS adjusted above .50 volts. There is a balancing act between setting the TPS, getting the proper throttle blade opening and having the IAC set in the proper range.

Neal

I would start from scratch and set both the IAC and TPS again. Sounds like the IAC is not set properly with your new TPS adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the high idle when TPS was lower
It sounds like you painted yourself into a corner. Your original TPS setting at idle was fine. The only thing that makes sense in regard to the high idle is that at some point you must have had the TPS adjusted above .50 volts. There is a balancing act between setting the TPS, getting the proper throttle blade opening and having the IAC set in the proper range.

Neal

I had the high idle when TPS was lower than 50 volts as well. It would idle fine then I put it in gear and it still idled fine. Then back in park and it set in at 1300 rpm.

Once I tightened the TPS it quit doing it.

Where do I want my TPS and IAC at?

Because your screws were probably too loose? Thats why it might have moved when you tightened the TPS again. it is very sensitive.
.42 was probably fine to begin with but you still have to go WOT (engine off) and see if you are getting true WOT.

Do it with the motor off. Then you will see it jump by about .01-.02 when started.

TPS .42-.46 and WOT should be at or just over 4.0
IAC numbers should be from 1-20

TPS is more important tho. Dont get hung up on the IAC numbers.

Also note the IAC will only "zero itself out" when the car is being driven above 35mph. That's when the IAC closes and the ECM takes that to be zero IAC counts as a reference point. So take it out for a spin after to have it all dialed in and then check the IAC counts after, see if they changed much.

Took car for a drive and IAC was 58 cruising about 50 mph. I'm still using the 5.7 chip, Z06 and translator. I have a 200 mile drive to a car show round trip Saturday so that's the only reason I'm messing with it. I have a slight hesitation at 65 mph ish. Hard to notice but it's there. Just thought maybe I could tune it out if any of these things could be causing it. AFR looks good though.

Here are my numbers after going for a short drive idling in the shop.

ATS 88; TOS .42 at idle. WOT engine off 4.64; IAC 54; NAL 22; AF 5; L8 35; INT 128; BL 125; 875 rpm's; coolant 161

AFR bouncing 14.7 to 15.1 ish

I know this is newbie stuff but I want understand it better.

OK, numbers look pretty good except IAC. I like any number from 15-25. To obtain that, leave the engine idling (warmed up), and while monitoring your IAC number, turn the throttle stop screw clockwise about 1/2 turn, see what the numbers do. Keep turning it in 1/2 turn Clockwise sets to watch the numbers gradually fall.
Now here's where it gets a bit more complicated. about every couple throttle screw adjustments, you'll have to re-adjust the TPS idle setting, BUT... here's a trick I learned to minimize screwing up your good WOT setting.
loosen one tps screw enough to allow adjustment, loosen the other one just enough so it acts as a hinge of sorts but wont allow any sliding on it's side. Then gently tap the nose of the TPS up or down very slightly and watch your idle TPS setting on the scan tool.
Back and forth, IAC to TPS to IAC, etc etc.

MAL code 22 it a low voltage TPS code.

What TurboDave said.

IAC and TPS have to be adjusted simultaneously.

D

I got it set in no time. My TPS is 42 and 4.61 at WOT. My IAC is now at 12 at idle. IAC does not got to zero when I drive over 40 mph? Why is that?

I still have a slight hesitation at light throttle cruise speed say 45 to 70 mph. Kind of feels like the car is surging a hair. My afr is lean, 14.8 to 15.5 ish. I'm limping by on the 5.7 chip I had burned for this motor when I ran the champion irons. The only thing I changed was the better flowing TA aluminum heads. Wouldn't think that would matter but maybe it does. I'll be changing to SD2 next week.

Any ideas on the surging? It's real real slight but it's there. If I throttle is a bit it's fine

You need to log it. Sounds to me like its going lean for a second. My car does the same thing but at 16.5-17 afr cruise.

I got it set in no time. My TPS is 42 and 4.61 at WOT. My IAC is now at 12 at idle. IAC does not got to zero when I drive over 40 mph? Why is that?

I still have a slight hesitation at light throttle cruise speed say 45 to 70 mph. Kind of feels like the car is surging a hair. My afr is lean, 14.8 to 15.5 ish. I'm limping by on the 5.7 chip I had burned for this motor when I ran the champion irons. The only thing I changed was the better flowing TA aluminum heads. Wouldn't think that would matter but maybe it does. I'll be changing to SD2 next week.

Any ideas on the surging? It's real real slight but it's there. If I throttle is a bit it's fine

Most of the TR's are evil! If you happen to have one that isn't your just plain lucky.

Most of the TR's are evil! If you happen to have one that isn't your just plain lucky.

Oh you need to search my posts for the last 2 years. My car makes Satan look like a P--sy.

Bo, I will try and get a log next week. Been doing valve train mods to the Cuda this week, haven't spent any time on the GN other than I drove it home tonight from the shop.

I think it only zeros the IAC from time to time, occasionally.

Back