You can type here any text you want

Some newbie questions about assembling

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vlzman

Hi, finally discovered what has been the problem causing coolant mixing with oil. I had tried already to change head gaskets, intake gaskets, checked heads for cracks, smoothed the heads and intake surfaces but nothing, still got white cocoa in my engine. So I thought that there cant be any other reasons and looked for block cracks and there it was, in the 5th cylinder wall. And it only took about 1,5 months and couple of thousands of dollars to find it :mad:
Now, I sleeved the cylinder, will change all the bearings and it should be done.
But before starting the assembly I have some dumb questions as my knowledge about Buick engines bases on my other buick's (GS 455) engine (464 stage 2 headed).
I try to explain as well I can and I hope you understand and can help me.
There's a thing in the timing cover where usually distributor goes, it doesnt seem to be distributor but it looks like it. Is there something specific I should know when I put it back?
If there's any other important facts I should know about re-assembling stage 2 engine then please share.
thanks
Veljo

You may have a cam sensor where a distributer normally goes-thats how the turbo buicks are set up. look on Turbo Regal Web Site for installation instructions or do a search on it.

Thanks 49-blues for good info. Another one: How is usually cam installed on stage 2 engines (I have solid roller, 224/224@.050), advanced, retarded or on zero? Cant reach the previous owner so its hard to find out how it was installed.

Also about rear main seal. Block casting is 25500016, so it seems to be off-center block and it has 4 bolt main caps. Does it take BBC rear main seal, crank is BMS forged stroker.

Assembled the engine now and ran into a cam sensor problem. Hope that experts can help.
I put the cam into zero when #1 cylinder was in TDC. Then installed cam sensor exactly as it was installed before (facing the passanger seat) but the car didnt start, only backfired few times. So I brought #1 cylinder to TDC and measured the signal strength and had to turn sensor about 90 degrees (facing to driver seat) to get the markings right. After that car started without any problems. But still it seams that timing isnt correct, at idle engine revs go up and down all the time. Do I have to worry about my timing been not correct? Have to go to a race but I'm worried that if timing isnt correct I might get some detonation at full throttle. Help please, Im still quite new with turbo cars.

The cam sensor should be set at 25 ATDC #1 cylinder. Your timing is probably off because of the idle spark offset. You need to shoot above the idle parameters so shoot for say 2500 and confirm the ECU is commanding the timing you see. I assume you are using FAST or other aftermarket ECU.

The cam sensor should be set at 25 ATDC #1 cylinder. Your timing is probably off because of the idle spark offset. You need to shoot above the idle parameters so shoot for say 2500 and confirm the ECU is commanding the timing you see. I assume you are using FAST or other aftermarket ECU.

I'm using BS3. Main thing is that I dont understand how is it possible that even though I installed cam sensor exactly as it was before, it was 90 degrees off :confused:
Is it because maybe the cam wasnt at zero before (maybe 4R, how usually the cam is installed with these engines?) or should I set the cam sensor when #6 cylinder is in TDC?
I tried to spool with transbrake and AFR was over 16. The most I'm afraid that if timing is off then what will it do at full throttle?

You are asking questions that would get a person with a stock block in trouble, much less a big buck stage II motor. Please post what area you are in and maybe someone local can help you out. You have to get the basics down along with an understanding how it should all work together before tackling a job like you are. The fact that you don't know the names of basic parts and you are timing it based on pointing it at the passenger seat means you need help. Are you outside the US? We are here to help. You need to get the car figured out and quit worrying about an upcoming race when you do not even know how to get the car started.

A bigstuff3 doesnt use the cam sensor to fire the injectors it uses which ever injector fires first and fires it sequentially from there . The cam sensor is only used to let the coil pack and module fire the plugs in the right sequence(know which cylinder is number 1 ) set it at 25 after tdc and you should be set with that . The crank sensor and your map(timing table )and the correction make the timing your air fuel being lean has to do with something else . Does the car have a crank trigger rather than a stock crank sensor ?

You are asking questions that would get a person with a stock block in trouble, much less a big buck stage II motor. Please post what area you are in and maybe someone local can help you out. You have to get the basics down along with an understanding how it should all work together before tackling a job like you are. The fact that you don't know the names of basic parts and you are timing it based on pointing it at the passenger seat means you need help. Are you outside the US? We are here to help. You need to get the car figured out and quit worrying about an upcoming race when you do not even know how to get the car started.

I actually aimed for some good advice and help when I started this thread, not for a lecture how stupid I am, I know that myself :biggrin: . I admit that I am new in turbocars but how does a person get knowledge better than learning in progress and of course with a help of a nice boardmembers. Yes I do have a stage II engine. I am located outside US, Estonia Europe. My car is the only GN not only in my country but in this whole region so I am on my own with my problems. As my native language is not english then I dont know names of the parts in english. It doesnt mean I dont know them at all. I just want to be sure that I did everything right and I want to understand why I had these timing issues although I installed everything as it was before (everything but the cam as I forgot to look how cam was when I removed it). I know that my questions might seem dumb and asked by a person who cant repair even a bicycle but my intentions are good.

I understand, and assumed as much by my question of you being outside the US that it was as much a language and location barrier as it was experience. I wanted to come across strong, because if you break that motor it is that much harder and expensive to fix overseas. By having the smallest thing set wrong you can and will send a rod through the side of the block. I don't think you are stupid. The dumb guy is the one who doesn't ask questions. A good way to find help would be to contact the distributors for FAST and BigStuff and see if they are shipping any units in your area of the country. At the Stage II level the all out race car guys are actually more help than the buick specific ones.

Found out that my block takes buick rear main seal, please suggest where I could find one and which is the best (TA perf, felpro, cometic, GM). If possible then part #-s would help out also a lot.
thanks advance
Veljo

I actually aimed for some good advice and help when I started this thread, not for a lecture how stupid I am, I know that myself :biggrin: . I admit that I am new in turbocars but how does a person get knowledge better than learning in progress and of course with a help of a nice boardmembers. Yes I do have a stage II engine. I am located outside US, Estonia Europe. My car is the only GN not only in my country but in this whole region so I am on my own with my problems. As my native language is not english then I dont know names of the parts in english. It doesnt mean I dont know them at all. I just want to be sure that I did everything right and I want to understand why I had these timing issues although I installed everything as it was before (everything but the cam as I forgot to look how cam was when I removed it). I know that my questions might seem dumb and asked by a person who cant repair even a bicycle but my intentions are good.

Estonia! Cool! A Baltic GN.
Vlzman, you're english is outstanding. Good luck!

Estonia! Cool! A Baltic GN.
Vlzman, you're english is outstanding. Good luck!

Thanks Mac! It's refreshing to see that there are people who know something about my native country. It actually has a lot of downsides having a exclusive car around here. It's impossible to get parts for it :mad: have to ship even every gasket from US and it's not cheap :frown:

GM will only supply you a crappy piece of rope.......which will most assuredly leak like a waterfall!!

FelPro is the way!!

Back