Something HOT

Lee Thompson

At Bristol, when I got back to the pits, I could smell something burnt ( very faint ). Because they have plenty shut down, I ruled out brakes. Could not pin point where it was coming from. My question is, could it be overrun clutches. I have run this trans all year. I prefer to leave in OD, but this trans shifts perfect on the street, but at WOT the convertor locks at 90 mph then it will go right in to 4th, so I leave in D and manual shift in to 4th at about 200 ft. from the traps. ( don/t want to work on the shift points because I drive on the street some ) I could not feel it slipping in any gears or my multi dics slipping, not saying they weren/t, just didn/t notice any. If it is overrun clutches is there any way to tell?
Haven/t removed pan yet. Thanks

Drive the car and pull shifter in to 3rd. If the trans has engine braking the overrun is fine.

Lonnie Diers

Hi Lee, how are things? Hey got a couple of questions for you, how fast is the car and what gears and cam do you run? This has nothing to do with the smell you are gettting but was wondering because you say you go to 4th 200 feet before the finish line.
Take care, Kip

is your car, the Blue Hot air T?

Hi Lee,

Were you driving the Blue hot air T? THere was an intercooled one, and a hot air version, parked together at Bristol. I was pitted with Turbo Regal police car. Both blue Regals were show quality. I stopped by a few times, but nobody was around.

As Lonnie said, if yo have engine brakin in 3rd your overruns are OK. Do you have 3 overdrive clutches or 2 like stock? If you are overpowering 4th, better clutches are available. I have some pictures of your engine bay, i'll review them, and see if I can think of anything else. I think you had the A/C box deleted. I would smell the tranny fluid. Is it burnt? Look closely for clutch material or metalica. If the fluid is burnt, I might guess, the L/U disc's. Well, let us know what the fluid looks and smells like.;)

Smell

Kip, I am running 3.73 gears with 29x9 Goodyears. Schneider cam (through Eastern)
208-224 with 440 intake lift--490 ex. lift ( not a mis print ). Car shifts by it self at 5700-5800, but I usually shift into 4th at 5400

Smell

Geerrhead, My car is the 85, the intercooled one is my wifes first born. His has the heater box deleted. Yes I had the 4th piston machined and installed 3 Alto Red Eagle ( I believe that is their name for them ) I will smell the fluid tomorrow, if it smells burnt couldn/t it be any of the clutches ( convertor or 4th or overrun ) Just beginning to learn a little about trans, used to hire them rebuilt but trying to see if I can get a handle on them. People on the board have been very helpful. Thanks