You can type here any text you want

Speedo Rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rugby

My bouncing speedo needle is driving me up the wall and I can't seem to fix it.

It started when the short cable from the head to the coupling broke. I replaced them with a one piece 100" cable. That was a year ago and it has bounced ever since. I have lubed it with grease and speedo cable lube with no luck.

I replaced the cable a week ago and lubed it with speedo lube before installing it.

Today I pulled the dash apart again and took the speedo apart to see if it was dry or sticking ect. I lubed the area where the cable connects to the head. The speedo head looks good and is free when you spin it by hand.

I guess my next step is to have the unit rebuilt.

Does anybody know generally what it cost to have one rebuilt?

Or anything else I should check?

Brandon

I would cut off a little piece of the old cable chuck up in a drill put into the back of the speedo head and watch the movement of the needle as you change speeds with the drill the needle bounce may be something other then the the head itself unless the round piece behind the needle is wobbling or rubbing on the sides

The bearings are gone and need replacing. I paid $325 for a rebuild and recalibration from 85mph to 145mph. Got the 145mph overlay on eBay. Sent the cluster to Southern Electronics in Richmond, VA.
804-423-1100

Does Kirbans do these too or just the recalibration to the 145 mph and sticker application?

I originally sent mine to Southern Electronics just for calibration. They sent me back a video of my Speedo needle jumping all over the place. Mine was doing this at highway speeds and I assumed it was a cable issue. It wasn't the bearings were gone in the cluster. You can try Kirbans but a cluster with an issue obviously can't be recalibrated.

Back