Speedometer Needle Jumping

ryeguy87GN

87FSTGN
Anybody have advice on how to fix a speedometer needle from jumping? Mine starts to jump at 55 holds pretty steady untill I gas it or just let off of the gas completely. Help would be appreciated.

Go under the dash unplug the speedo cable pull cable out and grease then slide it back in and reconect. ;)

Like he said it probably needs greased.
The top half and lower half are connected by the PM. The coupler can be seizd so spray with wd40 or something.

For the top half (after disc the coupler) pull the whole speedo head out and reach behind it and press in on the metal tab that holds it in to relase it. Have to tell you it is a pain and not much room.... feed in the slack cable to give yourself a few more inches of accessability.

Once that is done pull out the core and use speedo cable grease from GM or silicone grease. (the core may have a little washer holding it in that can be popped out with a small screwdriver) And lube, but go easy on the last 10-12 " as it will tend to migrate to the spedo face area if over lubed.

For the the bottom half remove at trans and then pull the core out of it and refeed the cable back in. A little trick I do is pull the core wiped it down with a rag soaked with brake clean or equiv. Let that dry and then lube and once it is in I Gingerly connect my drill motor to it and spin for a bit then pull core back out and regrease then replace.

If you are getting sqealing in conj with the bounce then the bearing in the speedo head maybe bad...mine was.

My VDO speedo was jumping too. I disconnected the lower cable at the VSS and put a little graphite cable lubricant on it. Works fine now.