Spring question

fly89gta

what front springs should i use when the TTA motor goes in? I was told to get BXX springs(i think that was it) but i found out they're discontinued, so what should i go with? Also why do i have to go with different springs? Is it due to having less motor weight in the front?

ebaich drag launch springs work fine in my car and the ride hight was perfect afrer i cut a 1/4 of a coil off the fronts

george

Exact match for BXX is to get CDB springs and cut off 3/4 of a coil. Thats what I have in the car and they are perfect. And yes its because the motor weighs 150lbs less.

the CDB's with 3/4 of a coil off are equivalent in spring rate to 1LE springs, and give perfect ride height...

GM P/N 14029396 list $89.03 mech $66.77

You could... but i dont know how it will affect the spring rate, plus the CDB is stiffer (read: 1LE). I was instructed to cut the CDB, you could try the WS6 spring but it may not be stiff enough and then your car will end up scraping the ground and/or bouncing around like a riceboy with a punishing ride.....

i'll figure out what i'm doing later, i need to pick up the motor first, lol...how hard is it to cut the springs?

Two things-the BXX springs are shorter WS6 springs-which btw are the same as installed on all 1LE/IROC/WS6 cars.There was a stiffer spring avalible on some IROCs in 1987 I belive but was too stiff and the factory stopped it's use.

Second is that you don't want it too stiff or you get no weight transfer,and that affects your 1/4 performance and ride.

Steve

i didnt cut em myself my dads friend did. They are thick so....

I think steve has something to cut them with....

The reccomended replacement for BXX is CDB and it works perfectly for me, the ride isnt bad at all and stiffness is like factory

OK let me rephrase that-the BZX spring is a WS6 spring,the BXX spring is a WS6 spring,and finally the BXX is a shorter version of the BZX spring-you Tom have those earlier IROC springs which I reccomend NOT to get as they are too stiff

One last thing-Tony your GTA has WS6 springs and yes I can cut them for you :D

Steve

ACTUALLY Tony has BZX springs... thsoe are the WS6 Springs.

The CDB's are stiffer (and equivalent to the BXX in spring rate). The BZX would be better for drag racing with 3/4 of a coil cut. the CDB better for Autox or road racing. Your choice....

OK tom now your pissing me off-I got it wrong before and corrected my response that Tony has the WS6(read BZX)springs which are longer BXX springs meaning if he cuts off a small amout he has the equivilant to BXX springs.The spring rate on the BXX and BZX springs are the same while the CDB is stiffer.

Steve

Hi All,

So, the best solution is to cut a WS6 spring? But then how much do I cut off ( 3/4, or 1 coil)? I reason that I am confused is because I was talk to someone to day about having it done and they said that I would need to cut off 1 coil, and that I couldn't cut like 1/2 or 3/4 of a coil off. How much lower would it make the car if I did cut 1 coil off?

If I am going to be cutting the spring anyway, are there any after market lowering spring that I can use in the front?

Thanks!

does anyone make an after market spring that will work? i need new ones but i dont want it to ride any stiffer then stock.