You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 oiling

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BadAssGN

Certifiable Member
Hi guys,

I have a question on wet sump oiling on a stage 2 on centre

This engine is in a 1968 camaro Pro Street car,

They used a stock modified front cover and stock oil pump I believe, and I'm not sure this is enough. What Products are available for the oil system. I know he purchased a metal adapter block that fits on the bottem of the oil pump. but it still uses stock components.

I did not asemble this engine so I don't know first hand about all components, but I have been asked to help repair a low oil pressure condition.

Thanks for you input

Bill

I'm sure there are more qualified persons (Bill A., Cal, et al) to weigh in on this, but I'm curious as to what you say is "low oil pressure." From your post, I think you've got the Duttweiler oil pump setup - a black anodized block of aluminum with in, out, and bypass pots, correct? In that case, it already has high-volume pump gears in it, but it also has a bypass adjustment on it, that could raise the pressure for you.

However, more people are staying away from really high pressures in street applications. If you've got 15 psi at hot idle, and 60 psi at 2500-3000 rpm, you're probably okay, IMO. Go too high on the pressure and you start to hurt the cam and distributor drive gears, as well as the front cam bearing. I'm running 0-W40 synthetic to keep my cold pressure down, as well as a lighter spring in the Duttweiler pump setup.

Again, just one man's opinion.

From the info I have gathered the oil pressure is 17 at idle and dosen't go over 40

I really wish I was involved in this a little more because I don't know a lot about what was done here....

I'll ask the owner to post on this thread and answear some of the questions

What is the oil pressure cold at 3000 rpm?

Also, you might want to cut open the oil filter to check for bearing mat'l.

Update

Well... heres an update...

it spun a rod bearing it ended up with one bearing on top of the other...

Cause is unknown. we also found the align hone was off a smidge

I'll post pics at some point.

stg 2 oiling

Hi Gary Harvy,

This is bob, did you see our batmobile photo. Yes it is me. Good to see you're still kicking.

bob

Hello Bob...

OH NO, Don't tell me your back at it again ... !

What's up with the flyin' deal?

I hope the Batmobile stays on the strip and doesn't try to fly.

Welcome Back,
Gary Harvey

PS. I'm still a work in progress :mad:

Back