You can type here any text you want

stage 2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jerrad

i know its either a 4.3 or 4.5 instead of a 3.8 but what exactly does someone need to build a stage two and where do you get the blocks? also whats the average price to build one and does it bolt right up with the 200r4?

Originally posted by jerrad
i know its either a 4.3 or 4.5 instead of a 3.8 but what exactly does someone need to build a stage two and where do you get the blocks? also whats the average price to build one and does it bolt right up with the 200r4?

Hello jerrad!

Since i'm new to this as well i have done some research.....

Stage2 starts with the old style 182" up to the modern 274"
´
If you want to build a stage2 you cant use anything from the stock one, except the intake.... i think?

There s a new stage2 block in aluminium now on the market for $3500-3900.
Crank,rods,pistons,camshaft,block,heads,roller cam, rockers and axle,damper will take you in the $11000 just for these parts.....

And, trust me...... if you build a stage2 you will not mount a 200 behind it:eek: 400 is to prefer.

The stage II blocks were available bored either for the stock 3.8 L bore (3.8") or 4.1 L bore (3.965"), and can be stroked to about 3.625". A 4.1 L block and 3.625 crank give about 269 cu. in.; overboring to 4"+ gets 272+ cu. in. The blocks are no longer available from Buick but are available either used or still new in the box. Block prices depend on condition and how long you can wait for a "deal", but range from maybe $1000 to $4000. They also come on center and off center, which drives your header, front cover, and intake selection. Crank forgings are also no longer available from Buick but two guys are advertising raw forgings right now for under $600, plus $1000-1500 for a crank company to finish grind it to the stroke of your choice. Billet cranks are $2500, and Eagle just came out with a low cost forging, stock stroke only for now, for $700. If you scrounge everything yourself, depending on heads, you might stay under $5000 in parts plus $3-5000 to the machine shop that preps and assembles it. If you just cut a check to Duttweiler for a dynoed crate motor, my guess is $20,000.

This comes up here every few months so go back into the archives for lots more details. Check the parts for sale forum and this forum for ads if you want to see prices.

thanks for the responses guys they helped now i know ill never be able to build one unless my bank robbery plan turns out like its supposed to

Hey Carl--

Your post above says Eagle has the stock stroke for now, do you think they will come out with a longer stoke?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, all I know is what I've read here, and what I was told by a guy with Groom's engines at the Nats, and that is that Eagle is planning on a stroker but hasn't said when. Apparently they were a little surprised with how well the stock stroke cranks were selling, so maybe that will speed up the process for a stroker and for rods.

Back