You can type here any text you want

Stage motor into non-turbo Regal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
Was thinking about building a stage motor one day. I don't see the point in paying the money to get a TR, just to change everything about the powertrain (stage two motor, TH400, and Ford 9" rear). My question is, can I just buy a non-turbo Regal and put the stage motor in? Is putting a stage motor in a non-turbo car going to be the same as putting it in a turbo car? If I can, does it matter what year Regal I go with, 1978-1987? The thing is, my brother in-law has a 1978 Regal and was thinking about buying it from him to do this project.

Thanks,
Jason

I agree and was planning the same thing..I just happened to run across an 86 Rosewood T-type that was in my price range. I sold most of the original drivetrain parts (engine, trans, rearend) and used others as spares for my GN so I probably came out ahead by buying the turbo car.

I bought a stand-alone FAST harness so I've even pulled the stock ECM harness and gotten a replacement for the section on the driver's side from a NA regal in the junkyard. I would buy the nicest bodied car you can find with no regard to motor condition. It makes sense to stick with a V6 car though so you don't have to change frame mounts.

If you are planning on a fairly mild buildup though, using stock intake, accessories, wiring harness, I would stick with an original turbo car. That stuff can nickel and dime you to death quickly if you have to buy it separately.

I am not sure how this would affect resale value..I suspect not very much as people in the market for a S2 car are probably not overly worried about matching #s.

One final thing: the 78s are ugly. Please find an 82-up car! :)

Thanks Kendall!!! Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
Jason

Back