You can type here any text you want

staking oil gallery plugs.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Can anyone advise me (with pictures I hope) on the correct method to stake the oil gallery plugs in place.
I got them pressed in and a light film of permatex 2.

Attachments

• 100_0745.jpg
    100_0745.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_0746.jpg
    100_0746.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 566
make sure to stake or you can loose the plug.

the plug should not be flush with the edge of the block. about 1/16 past the edge
i use a cold chisel to make 8 evenly spaced dents in the edge of each hole. the idea is to get the indent to cause the metal to swell up around the lip of the hole making difficult for the plug to pass though.
I think you can also use a punch 1/16th in from the edges (on the external face) but you stand a better chance of breaking off pieces of metal.
My next build i am going to thread the holes and use short plugs.

That's the better idea. Pipe Tap & Treaded Plugs w/Teflon plumbers paste for sealer.

why do people bother with sealer on things like this? the plug is an interference fit- it's bigger than the hole it gets pounded into. all of the sealer just gets squeezed off when it's pounded in..

dave it would be helpfull to have the pics for the archives.
part numbers/vendors for the tap and plugs would be good if you cant get pics.

dave it would be helpfull to have the pics for the archives.
part numbers/vendors for the tap and plugs would be good if you cant get pics.

here you go, sorry dont have part numbers, the machine shop I use did if for me (free of charge :biggrin:) also you can see in one he drilled a tiny hole said it would help with lubing cam chain, and cam gear, not sure of how if feel about that yet, but hole is smaller then what it looks like in the pick. I plan to try it in my 86 first, its a relatively stock build with high volume pump, will keep eye on oil pressure, if it seems to low will replace with the plug he gave me with out hole, he said hes done this plenty of times with no ill effects.

block.jpg

block2.jpg

block3.jpg

Here are a few photos of a block I done. I used plugs from TA Performance. The hole size is already OK for a 3/8 NPT pipe thread. I started the tap in the hole using a mill to make sure it is started square. I went in about 3 threads to start then finished them by hand tapping. I kept test fitting the threaded plugs to make sure the depth was below the face of the block but not too deep.

Attachments

• tap block1.JPG
    tap block1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 374
  • tap block 2.JPG
    tap block 2.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 364
  • oil plugs.JPG
    oil plugs.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 389
small block chevy builders have been tapping those holes and putting little oil squirters in them to lube the timing chain since about a week after the first 265 powered Bel Air hit the streets in the fall of '54.. yeah, i know- this isn't a small block Chevy.. but this trick is also done on pretty much every other engine family for more durability and/or peace of mind.

small block chevy builders have been tapping those holes and putting little oil squirters in them to lube the timing chain since about a week after the first 265 powered Bel Air hit the streets in the fall of '54.. yeah, i know- this isn't a small block Chevy.. but this trick is also done on pretty much every other engine family for more durability and/or peace of mind.

yea, think my machinest has been doing at least that long:eek::wink:

turbodave...

turbodave...looks like you may be past the point of threading. if you are on your final assembly, i would just stake it. Make sure you stake it because it can pop out! i know from experience.

Looks like it should have been 1/16 deeper but it may jump further than desired when the sealant releases.
maybe someone with more experience can verify if the cup plug must be 1/16 counter sunk before staking
(thats what i have done using a ~5/16 deep socket and have seen it done on other builds)
Andrew

turbodave...looks like you may be past the point of threading. if you are on your final assembly, i would just stake it. Make sure you stake it because it can pop out! i know from experience.

Looks like it should have been 1/16 deeper but it may jump further than desired when the sealant releases.
maybe someone with more experience can verify if the cup plug must be 1/16 counter sunk before staking
(thats what i have done using a ~5/16 deep socket and have seen it done on other builds)
Andrew

thank you. you're one of only two that offered assistance on what I've gotten done, instead of what I "should" have done.

It may not look like it in the picture, but they are deep enough to be inside the small chamfer that starts the hole.

I wish someone had pictures of what their staking looks like. I'm having difficulty trying to visualize how to do this.

i can take pics of a block im working on and also i have a tech article from a chevy book. Ill send those later tonight

Stake

Using a small sharp center punch (1/4 or 3/8 tap works good)--go around the hole and put 4-5 punches in the edge of hole --it will spread the cast iron and in turn the plug can't push out. It's not brain surgery.

Back