You can type here any text you want

Staright line

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sal Lubrano

What suspension mods need to be done to keep the rear end straight with the car when accelerating. When the car accelerating hard and does not get complete traction (some wheels spin) the rear tends to drift off to the side. Other than a complete hook with the tires is there anything that can be done?

Here is my take on that and I'm still having lots of problems.

It is a combination of a lot of things. My problem is exactly the same. When my boost comes on, it puts a lot of power down quick. I don't think there is any way with a stock frame to get enough tire on back to hammer it off the the line and even from a punch at about 15-20 mph my car immediately goes sideways and ends up pointing at about 2:00. I was told putting the H&R bar on would fix it. It didn't and the car drives a lot more squirly than with the stock bar. It always drove and tracked great but now it drives like it is on bald tires. Constantly changing direction and needing steering adjustments.

It has been so bad I haven't driven it much for the past year because it is so squirly and there is no way I could think about 'playing' with anyone. It seems weird that this tracking problem didn't appear until we put the bar on (done by a reputable TB mechanic) but I'm sure it isn't the bar. I am dropping it off to my TB guy in a week or so and told him I didn't want it back until it was OK. He will try other tires, check out all control arms and mounts, etc to track it down. There has to be something wrong.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to hammer the car but I doubt we can on the street. I have 275 60 15 Nittos and we are going to try other tires including slicks to see if it still does the same thing. I'll keep you posted as to results.

Just wanted to let you know that throwing the bar on isn't always a fix and I think the power level has a lot to do with decent traction on the street.

Here is my take on that and I'm still having lots of problems.

It is a combination of a lot of things. My problem is exactly the same. When my boost comes on, it puts a lot of power down quick. I don't think there is any way with a stock frame to get enough tire on back to hammer it off the the line and even from a punch at about 15-20 mph my car immediately goes sideways and ends up pointing at about 2:00. I was told putting the H&R bar on would fix it. It didn't and the car drives a lot more squirly than with the stock bar. It always drove and tracked great but now it drives like it is on bald tires. Constantly changing direction and needing steering adjustments.

It has been so bad I haven't driven it much for the past year because it is so squirly and there is no way I could think about 'playing' with anyone. It seems weird that this tracking problem didn't appear until we put the bar on (done by a reputable TB mechanic) but I'm sure it isn't the bar. I am dropping it off to my TB guy in a week or so and told him I didn't want it back until it was OK. He will try other tires, check out all control arms and mounts, etc to track it down. There has to be something wrong.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to hammer the car but I doubt we can on the street. I have 275 60 15 Nittos and we are going to try other tires including slicks to see if it still does the same thing. I'll keep you posted as to results.

Just wanted to let you know that throwing the bar on isn't always a fix and I think the power level has a lot to do with decent traction on the street.

In your case it's going to be the bushings or posibly a cracked mount. The original sway bar stabilized the LCA's which kept the car in a straighter line. Seen this before myself. Get a set of good bushing in the rear and it will solve a lot of problems.:biggrin:

I would advise u to get the H&R bar and some Mickey Thompson street slics. I had the same problem as TLTURBO where I was so irritated with my car never getting traction that I never drove it. All though I didn't move in steps I just did a full suspension revamp, its like night and day. All though my car still breaks loose now I actually have to make it, other than the car having a mind of its own and taking me for a ride.

P.S. Now even when I burn rubber from a roll in 2nd gear (20-25mph) the car stays straight. I did it yesterday on a little one way, one lane street with cars on both sides parked comfortably.:cool:

Back