Started my install today...

Updating pics...

orig.jpg

Next time I will make the pics a little smaller. I fixed the gap at the top of the grill and added the Concert Sound II logo.

The passenger door is done and the drivers door is next. I have about 10 hours into this one and hopefully the driver's door will go smoother.

8UWITH6,

Is the pic posted adequate to see the back? It kind of sinks into the back of the door. There should be enough room for the Focal shallow mount.

That's four posts now, I should bring over the new mids so you can show how shallow they are and post a pic of that.

Dude, this DQL-8 is cool, wish I could power it up but I dont know where my 12v invertor is.

Thanks for the pics guys. I see that in order to run a "large" midbass driver Im going to have to cut a hole in my doors for the magnet to clear. I understand why your pod is solid mounted to the metal door. In my daily driver, I just put some 4s on the outside of a concert sound door panel to get me some front fill as my cars are not CSII from the factory. Just the 3.5s in the dash suck IMO. Anyhow, sleek install. I like it.

Thanks for the pics guys. I see that in order to run a "large" midbass driver Im going to have to cut a hole in my doors for the magnet to clear. I understand why your pod is solid mounted to the metal door. In my daily driver, I just put some 4s on the outside of a concert sound door panel to get me some front fill as my cars are not CSII from the factory. Just the 3.5s in the dash suck IMO. Anyhow, sleek install. I like it.

I dont think we are going to have to modify the factory CSII hole, we used neodymium magnet woofers, the only ones I could find actually happen to be my favorite sounding brand, Focal.

I got most of the drivers side done this evening. I should be able to finish it tomorrow after work. I of course have take lots of pics.

More to come

why no speakers in the rear deck

just curious, as most systems sound better if you get sound from both front and back. just wanted to know why you went with no rear speakers.

Drivers side is done. The pic that has the speaker in it is the Focal shallow mount. I did not get a pic of the actual depth in relation to the door panel, but I can tell you depth will not be an issue. I really hope we can prove that a quality 6 1/2 midbass speaker can go into these doors with little to no door modification or extended protrusion from the door panel itself.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

just curious, as most systems sound better if you get sound from both front and back. just wanted to know why you went with no rear speakers.

Says who?

Seriously, I'll challenge anybody to sit in my car - when its done - and say they would like it better if they had "sound" as you call it; coming from the back.

Let me ask you a very simple question (this is an easy one, so work with me here)... how many ears do you have?

Think about it...
:)

Oh, and I have plenty of "sound" coming from the back, half of my 8 speakers are in the trunk.

Drivers side is done. The pic that has the speaker in it is the Focal shallow mount. I did not get a pic of the actual depth in relation to the door panel, but I can tell you depth will not be an issue. I really hope we can prove that a quality 6 1/2 midbass speaker can go into these doors with little to no door modification or extended protrusion from the door panel itself.

Dude... if this sounds as good as it will look, we are going to really get some attention here, not just in the Buick circles, but the audio circles as well.

The Speakerworks/RC GN LIVES!!!
:D

I have to agree with Glock. Personally I think rear "sound" muddy's the response and it sounds worse. All I have is Focal 6.5's in the doors, the tweets in the dash, and a sealed box with 2 10's in the trunk. It KILLS most systems that have a bizillion speakers all over the place. It is simple, clean, and loud. I like to listen to my music so I built it for sound quality and not for sharing with the neighborhood. No one ever sits in the rear seat anyway so rear speakers are a waste of time and money. My opinion.

BTW, the install looks great guys. I went a different route and made a fiberglass enclosure for the door speakers which kicked them up slightly towards the listener. They are more on top of the arm rest kick-out than under like seen above. We also made filler panels for the complete lower insert portion of the panel and covered the whole mess with leather. Looks really cool.

i hear you but

some music have sounds that come in from the rear or a certain speaker. kinda like surround sound. i'm not saying it won't sound good, it looks like you know what your doing i was just curious as to why no back mounted speakers. tweets and mids have a smaller sound wave and are directional. it may sound better then most but i'm not completely sold on it. To each his or her own, if the consumer is happy with one speaker then it's all you. i was just curious as to why, and i know you don't ride in the back of the car, but if you have back seat passengers it may be harder for them to hear how great it sounds from the back if all the sound is coming from the front. not knocking you as i stated you seem to know what your doing with the customizing of the install. i just never really have gotten good response from using front mount speakers only.

datant69,

I hear ya. I would actually prefer some rear fill. Over the years my ears are not what they used to be. I need as much sound as I can get . I mean heck, I have Focal separates in the rear doors of my 4Runner so you are correct, to each his own This is the owner’s preference, as I am just the trunk money installing. But, I know the owner and I know this may only be the beginning of the sound system in this car. I should hopefully be able to start the remainder of the install this Friday morning and will taking lots of pics. As it sits now, the amp and sub will be in the trunk and the xover/eq will be under the passenger seat. If anybody has a particular pic request, just let me know.

i just think he'll have too much bass

that's just my 02, but he may be happy with it, depending on the subs and how much power he puts into the trunk it may equal out but he may be adding after hearing it for awhile. as most of us car audio geeks know that it's like crack, you get hooked and want it louder, better and clearer. doesn't usually take long but he's going with some great names, focal make some really good speakers. so he may be content, my bet is he'll add to the rear deck once he hears it and notices that it sounds incomplete.

that's just my 02, but he may be happy with it, depending on the subs and how much power he puts into the trunk it may equal out but he may be adding after hearing it for awhile. as most of us car audio geeks know that it's like crack, you get hooked and want it louder, better and clearer. doesn't usually take long but he's going with some great names, focal make some really good speakers. so he may be content, my bet is he'll add to the rear deck once he hears it and notices that it sounds incomplete.

You couldn't be any more incorrect. The bass (for now) is a Polk Audio C4 push-pull isobarc bandpass. It's very tight, accurate, relatively distortion free as far as bandpass boxes go. I like it because it's very efficient and light weight.

As far as it sounding "incomplete" who are you to even make that assumption, I personally take offense too it.

I do, however, still have an un-answered question here, and that is can you tell me, please, how many ears the average human head has?

Not trying to start anything

But depending on music he listens to it may sound great. I'm not knock u or him but who knows if he likes it then more power to him. From the brands he's using it should sound great. I just never heard front only mids and tweet sounds real good. As I said not trying to knock u about it for all I know it may sound great. I just never heard a system ur describing sound real good but I could be wrong. He's using good brands so I may eat my shoe on this. Looks like a a good install from the pics but as I said depending on the type of music he listens to it may sound great. So no hard feelings bro just curious as to why this set up. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck and again not knocking u just curious.

But depending on music he listens to it may sound great. I'm not knock u or him but who knows if he likes it then more power to him. From the brands he's using it should sound great. I just never heard front only mids and tweet sounds real good. As I said not trying to knock u about it for all I know it may sound great. I just never heard a system ur describing sound real good but I could be wrong. He's using good brands so I may eat my shoe on this. Looks like a a good install from the pics but as I said depending on the type of music he listens to it may sound great. So no hard feelings bro just curious as to why this set up. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck and again not knocking u just curious.

Please answer my question, how many ears do humans have????