You can type here any text you want

Starter pad fix?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6togo

I see quite a few stage blocks that have had the starter pad shaved off for Indy use what are the options on repairing this I know some have welded them and I heard that they made a support bracket?

Anyone? Just wondering if they are worth dealing with!

I don't know if I can give you any valuable insights because I've had very poor results trying to weld cast iron. My understanding is that furnace brazing is your best option. We had a 3.8 Stage II block that cracked between the freeze plugs that we tried to weld with a high nickle alloy rod and it didn't hold up. The block ended up cracking adjacent to the weld in short order. There are a few guys out there that have repaired blocks that had the starter pad removed for chassis clearance. I sold a block to a guy down in FL that got damaged in shipment and the whole corner where the starter mounts got knocked off. I know he was able to fix it but I don't know who did the work. I'll check around and let you know if I come up with anything.

Neal

I had an off center that was repaired with stealing the pad from another block. Wasn't cheap but worked.

depending on the car,

if you had bellhousing room you could use a bert&brinn sprint car style bell housing that bolts the starter to the bell.

wont fit in a GN... but great for hybrids.

Back