Starting issues, please help...

Scorp965

I recently had my car transported from PA to SoCal, when it left PA it started fine and was driven onto the truck, and the truck driver was given a plastic cover to put over the intake (the motor is in a porsche hybrid, the cover prevents rain from entering the carb, but it must be removed prior to starting). When the truck arrived in CA I got a call from the transport company telling me the car wouldn't start, unless pop-started, and they wanted me to be prepared for it when the car arrived.

Sure enough when the car arrived it was a 2000lb. paper weight. It wouldn't turn over, there wasn't any sound coming from the starter (although the fuel pump started up), and the accessories (radio, interior lights, headlights) all had power, but were a little dim. I took my volt meter out and got 11.9 on the battery, but the car wouldn't crank at all, symptoms of a dead starter.

I hooked up my Dodge Intrepid to the battery & tried to jump the car (figuring a dead or low battery from the 3-week transport) but the starter still wouldn't make a sound. I tried to hit the starter with a hammer but to no avail, I might not have hit it hard enough but I hit it as hard as I was comfortable doing.

Here is where the starter is mounted in my 911:
http://www.scorpionsearch.com/images/IM004070.JPG

It detaches from the firewall with relative ease, although I have no idea how to remove it from the car. There are two hex screws on one side and 3 wires going into it. Another wire attaches to the large post on the outside, and it has a heavy wire on the other side.

I think my next step should be removing the starter & taking it to a Kragen, etc. to have it tested & see if I should buy one on the internet. The car was built by a shop on the East Coast and I don't have a wealth of information about it. I know it started fine when it was loaded and it turned on without issue all across the US until it reached CA. When I was working on it yesterday I noticed melted plastic on top of the intake, so an idiot along the way forgot to remove the plastic cover from the carb, it is my theory this may have led to someone sitting on the starter for a decent amount of time burning it up (although I would like to know it is definitly the starter before I approach my transport company). I also tried to check the starter out with my volt meter but two things prevented me from getting a good reading: some genius decided to use the same color wire for all connections into the starter, and there are no leads to hook onto from the outside.

Or am I an idiot attacking something that isn't even the starter?