You can type here any text you want

Starting without Transmission installed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joediep

Hi all,

I am in need to some help on this one, I have recently got back to working on my 87GN, the car has not been running for at least a year and transmission is already out of the car (waiting on the rebuild/change to built one) and I am wondering if there is any way to start the car without the mission being installed, I think the neutral safety switch (NSS) has to be engaged in order for the vehicle to start but this there a way to bypass the NSS and start the car without the mission. Thanks Joe

On a TTA the neutral safety switch is on the shifter. You can start the engine without the transmission in the car just like normal. I would assume the same thing could be done on a G-body

@turbows6 - Understood, but what do I need to do, without reciving the signal from the mission the NSS thinks it is in gear, so do I need to jumper the wires or disconnect something to allow this to happen

@Just a Six?? - understood this test is really just for leaks, no load on motor

First thing i did trying no luck with that, LOL. FYI, I always use the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stuipd) :)

starting

Under the hood--pull up on the bracket that has the rod that goes down to trans. That is the position the coulumn needs to be in --same as when in park. You don't need to wire around anything --just get the column in park position. I think you can do while sitting in drivers seat--take both hands and grasp column just below key--turn counter clockwise.

@LOT - thanks I will try that tonight after work, will post to let all know how it worked.

@ LOT - thanks you were 100% on target, i was able to move the column from the driver's seat and about 5 mins later she fired right up :D:D:D:D:D:D

@ All - thanks to all how offered help

Back