You can type here any text you want

Steering box adjustment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yes to both adjustments. Dependent upon how many miles are on the box it makes a difference. Then while the box is out replace the intermediate shaft with a u-jointed Cherokee shaft.

And while the intermediate shaft is out replace the lower column bushing with a bearing set up from an Astro Van.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Tnx reply, RmvBfrFlght.

Was it a battle getting that pitman arm off the spline? How did you do it? I've read from other forums about nightmares getting the arm off. Some just resorted to cutting it off.....

Tnx reply, RmvBfrFlght.

Was it a battle getting that pitman arm off the spline? How did you do it? I've read from other forums about nightmares getting the arm off. Some just resorted to cutting it off.....

I always remove the pitman from the center link leaving it on the box.

You are correct, getting the pitman off the splined shaft usually takes a lot of work. Heat, pressure, and time will usually get it done. Last one I separated I used all of the above. Finally walking out of the garage and locking the door behind me with the puller still on it and tightened down.

Next morning the pitman was laying on the floor next to the puller. Sometime during the night it decided it was time to split.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back