You can type here any text you want

Steering column off center

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
I noticed the steering column is not centered in the cutout below the dash, rather it is skewed to the left. The frame is straight, car tracks straight, just the steering column is off. Is there a way to adjust this?

TIA
Dave

Yes, loosen the 2 nuts holding the column bracket (15mm socket size).
You should be able to get some right/left adjustment movement.

every G body is like that- not only is it not centered, it's actually angled a little bit. the hole in the firewall is about an inch closer to the centerline of the car than the steering wheel. i don't know why they did it that way, but they did..

The slots in my column bracket are going front-back, I cannot adjust side-side. Looks like that's just how it is, as novaderrik says. But other TR's I see at least have the 'hump" in the dash panel centered over the column, mine is very obviously to the extreme left. Maybe my dash panel itself is misaligned?

Car drives fine, so not a big deal. The visual aspect of it bugs me but I'll get used to it.

The slots in my column bracket are going front-back, I cannot adjust side-side. Looks like that's just how it is, as novaderrik says. But other TR's I see at least have the 'hump" in the dash panel centered over the column, mine is very obviously to the extreme left. Maybe my dash panel itself is misaligned?

Car drives fine, so not a big deal. The visual aspect of it bugs me but I'll get used to it.

if you remove the column and elongate the holes where the column gets bolted to the firewall, you can move that to the left which would pivot the wheel end to the right and center it up better.

I was pondering this yesterday driving home. I only think about is when I am driving and not when wrenching. :) I was hoping if I loosened the 10mm bolts on the firewall also I could get it close to centered. Remind me to do that tomorrow. Or start leaning towards the door... :tongue:

Back