steering shaft boot

1KWIKSIX

Does anyone know if the Buick GN steering shaft boot is still available from GM....if so anyone got the part number? :confused:

I have a steering boot I bought years ago from Mikes' Montes....however it's not the same.....a little small at 2" on the OD vs the buicks boot which is 2.25" OD. :mad:

Is there a procedure to remove the top pin so I can install the new boot? I've tried to remove the top pin, but won't budge......guess I'll try heating up the shaft and then hammer the pin out with a drift? Alternatively using a press?

steering shaft 005.jpgsteering shaft 006.jpgsteering shaft 004.jpg

thanks,

dave

this is one of the reasons i went with the jeep grand jerrokee shaft. no boots

Does anyone know if the Buick GN steering shaft boot is still available from GM....if so anyone got the part number? :confused:

I have a steering boot I bought years ago from Mikes' Montes....however it's not the same.....a little small at 2" on the OD vs the buicks boot which is 2.25" OD. :mad:

Is there a procedure to remove the top pin so I can install the new boot? I've tried to remove the top pin, but won't budge......guess I'll try heating up the shaft and then hammer the pin out with a drift? Alternatively using a press?

View attachment 142187View attachment 142188View attachment 142189

thanks,

dave

Have just found my answer.....looks like the pin needs to be pressed out using an "Arbour" press......not to use a hammer or the block bearings will stick and get caught up on the burrs of the shaft caused by hammering.

Alternatively....use a 3/8" dia x 16" long rod to hammer out the sliding upper portion of shaft.....

dave

Steering Shaft Issues

this is one of the reasons i went with the jeep grand jerrokee shaft. no boots

Yeah, I've got the jeep grand cherokee steering shaft already installed, but with my Kenne Bell headers....looks like it's too close to the header pipe. That's why I'm thinking of re-intalling my stock rag tag steering shaft....it had lots of clearance in this area.

steering shaft 008.jpg

dave

I just installed that boot last weekend. Similarly, I purchased the boot some years ago. The upper joint was a bit tight but with light taps it came apart. The two parts of the lower shaft assembly slide apart. Mine was dry with some rust resulting in the need to lightly tap it apart with a hammer. The boot slid off the opposite end from the one you're showing. Everything was cleaned with some steel wool and greased before re-assembly. The tabs that hold the seal do reach over sufficiently to hold the seal snugly. Yes, the boot base diameter is smaller but it does work.