You can type here any text you want

Stereo Skips...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ledzeppac

I have an aftermarket stereo in my GN.

When I turn it up more than half way the power seems to cut out and it will skip like a scratched cd... this could be playing the radio, dc, mp3 etc...

It feels/sounds like the power is cutting out.. All Connections are tight and good. I have a good battery, good voltage from altinator...

Is there a switch that could be bad?

Thanks

here a test you can do

you have too much of a load on your radios outputs (this could be ohm load or one channel is shorted out),my first question is;did you replace front speakers, and did you have concert sound(total of 4 speakers up front?)if you did ,aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm (which are louder BUT is more of a load)the lower the ohm rating,the more of a load on the radio it is.factory speakers are 10 ohm,so radio saw 5 ohm(dashand door speaker) per left and right sides, this would make aftermarkets speakers show 2 ohm (only high current amps can handle this kind of load )if this is the case,take it to a stereo shop and have them wire left speakers in SERIES and right as well.this will put ohm load in acceptable range(should then show 8 ohm per set)

if not heres a simple test to see what channel(s) are shorting out;
use your fader/balance controls and play one channel at a time( ie;fade all the way to front and also balance all the way to left)then turn up volume(this should be only speaker working )now and see if it cuts out like before..do this for all 4 channels and make notes of which speakers(s)had this problem...this will tell you which speaker to pull out and double check the wiring and make sure wiring is not touching each other or body(ground)if no shorts found try another speaker in its place to see how it plays.....if you do have a multi meter check ohms on each channel(at the radio,this test wiring too),you dont want anything LOWER than 4 ohms....

if i striked out here take to a stereo shop and have every thing checked....

Will I experience the same thing if I replace the door speakers on my concert sound car?

most radios can handle the load,some cannot,give it a try first, keep in mind that i dont know if he really has a short...

Clipping! I was trying to remember what the correct term was :rolleyes:

Ok, I have Kicker componants up front and coaxles in the rear so the ohms are matched with the head unit. I do have a sub with amp... When the sub is kicking this situation will also happen(BUT I dont listen to rap and the sub is not all the way up)... Its a middle/higher end Panasonic reciever so everything will match ohms wise...

I've did the fader deal... all seem to be playing clear alone...

For some reason I feel like there is a stock GM connection that has gone south... Is there something under the dash that could be it?

Thanks Gary1970

garyk1970 said:
you have too much of a load on your radios outputs (this could be ohm load or one channel is shorted out),my first question is;did you replace front speakers, and did you have concert sound(total of 4 speakers up front?)if you did ,aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm (which are louder BUT is more of a load)the lower the ohm rating,the more of a load on the radio it is.factory speakers are 10 ohm,so radio saw 5 ohm(dashand door speaker) per left and right sides, this would make aftermarkets speakers show 2 ohm (only high current amps can handle this kind of load )if this is the case,take it to a stereo shop and have them wire left speakers in SERIES and right as well.this will put ohm load in acceptable range(should then show 8 ohm per set)

if not heres a simple test to see what channel(s) are shorting out;
use your fader/balance controls and play one channel at a time( ie;fade all the way to front and also balance all the way to left)then turn up volume(this should be only speaker working )now and see if it cuts out like before..do this for all 4 channels and make notes of which speakers(s)had this problem...this will tell you which speaker to pull out and double check the wiring and make sure wiring is not touching each other or body(ground)if no shorts found try another speaker in its place to see how it plays.....if you do have a multi meter check ohms on each channel(at the radio,this test wiring too),you dont want anything LOWER than 4 ohms....

if i striked out here take to a stereo shop and have every thing checked....

check your ground at radio and battery to fender,,ALSO reduce the bass adjustment on radio(keep it halfway or less)and if you want more bass turn amp gain up instead,this will clear up the distortion in the highs.............

Back