You can type here any text you want

Stock!!! Keep stock chip???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qa1755

I have a STOCK 87 GN. The only upgrad is a ATR 3" exust with flowmasters. It is a show quality car so I don't really want a 10 sec car. Took it to the track once and it ran 14.6 in 90' weather. If I went 13.6 I would be very happy. So my question is, is JUST a chip going to even help at all unless I do other stuff? Should I even bother to put a diffrent chip in? And if so what type of chip?

Thanks for all the help

Until you make fuel system upgrades, you should not upgrade the chip or increase the boost. You could always have a chip done with stock boost levels which would give you better cold startup and driveability but before you raise the boost levels, you really need an upgraded in tank pump and adjustable regulator along with some other small odds and ends.

Thanks Jay I appreciate the advice. Think I will leave it as is until/if I upgrade the fuel system.

Tim

I think the stock chip has too much timing for todays gasoline. I would suggest a modern street chip with lower timing burned for stock boost. Do you have any form of a scantool?

Stock or not- you MUST know if its detonating. And with the stock chip, Ill bet you it is.

Bob

He's right

I have a 4,400 mi org. GN . However I also have a high mileage Limited which I am doing to, what I won't do with the GN.

I bought TurboLink. And found as you wher told that the chip is when gas was better.

Do your self a favor. Put a pump in. No one will know it's not stock.

Adjustable fuel regulator paint it black, and make it as close to stock as possible. I put a thrasher chip in. Kept all my parts.

Point is you where givin' GREAT advice. When you want to sell it . change to an upgrade stock chip. Enjoy the car. Don't be paranoid. No one will fault you for trying to make it run better.

Then wax it.:D

don't get any aftermarket chip untill you get fuel system taken care of or you will have to lower your boost levels to compensate for (too much boost or timing),using an adjustable wastegate

Thanks guys. Thanks RobV6, I think I will upgrade the fuel pump, adj fuel reg, and get the TurboLink.........I really just want to make it run the best it can run, to make it last. I don't really care about racing it.........unless a Vette lines up at the stop light of course :D

Thanks

You'll be surprised at, once you've taken car of the pump and wire harness. That you can get so much more out of these cars.

And not hurt them. Provided you keep them tuned and do a Spring Cleaning. Only portion of my car I debated was the K&N Filter. I went for that but wrapped up all parts. I only take this car out occasinally. And 17#s is my max.

To each his own. I wax it alot and just got a lot of chrome to show it. So have fun. Wish my other GN in 97' wasn't stolen.
30,000 mile car with a lot of goodies. Man it was great. But enjoy, but you will have fun, Turbo Link really heped me.
Just a thought.....

By the way. whoever said to put the pump in first.

Was absolutely right. Sorry.....Have fun

Yeah I am like you, I wax it all the time and just take it out on those 70-80' days and baby the hell out of it. I have the GNX dash to put in so after that I may do a pump based on what you have been saying. Its a shame I want as of nice of one that I got but now I wish I had 2. 1 to baby, and 1 to beat on LOL

Thanks

That's when I got lucky and found my second car.

Trouble is. Hard to work on 2.

But my white Limited, I fell over board on.

It needed some TLC. Plus I could make a runner out of it.

Well we'll see.

Nice talkig. E-me if you ever want to.

Rob............

Back