You can type here any text you want

Stock Rim question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kyle F

Addicted to Boost
So, I got to thinking the other day after I had the wheels off the car for some cleaning... Why do the rims on the rear of my car have "Front" stamped in them?

No I know they all have the sam 245 tire all around, but I notice there is a difference in offset. The "deeper" looking rims that say they should be on the front rub like a MOFO when I am in a parking lot. Though, if I put the "Fronts" on the rear and the "Rears" on the front, no rubbing and the wider looking tire is on the back. I personally think that having the deeper dished wheel on the back looks better.

So, whats the deal here, why do the "Fronts" rub, but the "Rears" don't when mounted on the front?

I thought that when you put the rears on the fronts they rub on the tie rod?Do you by chance have the 1/8 spacers that came on some f-bodies?

Nope, just 1LE brakes and Rotors. Thi sseems kind of weird in a way. I also think it looks a lot better with the fronts in the rear.

Alot of people have ran 4 fronts on the F-Bodys as well as on G-Bodys. The reason they have more offset (less dish) on the rears was to maintain the same track width front to rear, but it works just fine to have the rear wider. I personally have 4 extra front rims with ET-Streets mounted on 2 of them, they fit better than the rears with the ET's as they would barely rub on the inside when "cornering" on both sides. For autocrossing it is actually preffered to run 4 fronts so you can rotate the tires front to rear without remounting them.

rims

my rear rims also have front stamped in them. I know they are the rear rims from having other trans ams in the past. If you put them on the front they hit the tie rod.:eek:

Back