You can type here any text you want

stock vs front mount intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tracy

Just wondering how much of a performance gain a front mount interccoler provides.

I have an opportunity to buy a stock intercooler and just want to know how much performance I will lose.

42lb injectors
70 mm throttle body
THDP
ATR ex.
stock turbo

Thanks

The constant issue on this subject with a TTA is getting enough airflow through the front-mount.

Most of the hard-core guys floating around here will say they have gone plenty fast with a stock I/C and not to even bother with a front mount. OK Dan, Razor, Mike, & Co.... is that right :-)

If you are talking performance per dollar, I'd have to say getting a stock one cheap is gonna be way more effective than getting someone to fabricate a front mount for you.

Originally posted by tracy
Just wondering how much....performance I will lose.

Your wording suggests that you may have a front mount already. Is that true? If yes, you could do your own tests and compare.

A stock intercooler with a duttwieler big neck will improve potential air flow 15-20%. Most of the TTA owners prefer a stock intercooler. You can run a CAS V2, BGC stretch or ATR's liquid to air over the Front mount because of the air flow issue mark b mentioned. (I really don't know what ATR's liquid air design is, never seen one).

TTA1387, Razor, TTATony, 19TTA89 and TTA850 report in the FAQ section they have run in the 11's with a completely stock intercooler.

You're prolly good to the 10's with a stock intercooler. I'm sure others will chime in here and correct me on the details. :)

:cool:

Baaaa ... i'm just a sheep following the herd :D

My stock IC idol is Rob Crissafulli.. he went 132 with a bone stock IC. So a stock IC ought to be good well into the 120's.

How bout no IC.. now i'm gonna raise some eye brows. And use chemical intercooling.

For road racing, or hot lapping.. a front mount rules. But there is little advantage on a cool front mount vs a cool stocker. The key word.. cool.

Mine doesnt have a dutt neck on it. Joe's does.dunno.

Mine still has the mesh screen on the IC scoop as well.

Sounds to me like a good move for a mild motor like mine.

Anyone wanna buy my front mount??????

Originally posted by CHARGED
Tracy, I'm interested, send me pics, info and a price;)

Sure will. My car is at ANS, so I'll need to drive out there (1hr. each way) and get pics. I'll PM you later and give you some more info.

My intercooler was completely stock including the screen still intact. I went a best of 121.4 with it. RobC's car should be a guide as to what the stock stuff will do.

He even tried going 11's with the stock air filter setup. MAF hose collapses around 12.3 or so :)

The air filter construction sucks in a TTA... Even if you have the KN filter it seems to be hard to get in fresh air in it.

Daniel

Back