You can type here any text you want

Storing A Chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

charlloots

SMO-CUM
I RECIEVED A CHIP IN A ZIP LOCK BAG . IS THIS THE NORM OR COULD THIS CAUSE STATIC ? THANKS FOR ANY INFO.
CHARLLOOTS
WE4:confused:

The baggie is fine...just don't rub it up and down against a cat or a curtain.:)

I've put them in the little 35mm plastic camera film canisters...You can fit two of them in there if you put them top side to top side(with the pins pointing away from each other, must be in the plastic chip holder too) and then sliding them in the canister...It is a snug fit, and they don't rattle around in there...

I would NOT recommend storing a chip in a Ziploc or any other "ordinary" plastic container or bag -- too much risk of electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage .

Even a chip that APPEARS to be OK can be partially damaged, affecting its longevity, or leading to intermittent , unpredictable "glitches" (I work for a company that designs & manufactures chips -- I do know a bit of what I speak ;) )

true Antistatic bags are generally pink and sometimes feel a bit "greasy" to the touch -- but they aren't likely to be found on the store shelf at Radio Shack.

For storage or shipment, a good alternative is to take some aluminum foil and fold it into a sheet several foils thick. Then gently embed the chip's pins into the foil. Finally, fold the edges of the foil up and over the chip's main black body. Being conductive, the foil will prevent ESD damage.

This is not to say that every chip without these precautions will fail -- only that the chance of damage is increased, depending strongly on relative humidity, what kind of shoes & clothing you're wearing, what kind of flooring surface you walked across, etc.

Back