Straight Water?

boostm3

Have any of you guys tried straignt water? If water provides the theoretical hightest rate of cooling, due to heat latency, have any of you found that straight water does a better job of lowering your EGTs, and hence, more knock suppression?

I found that when I increaed my methanol content from like 20% upward to near 50%, the slight bogging I experienced lessened or disappeared..Is this because instead of quenching the flame, the higher alky content will actually help fuel it?

Lastly, has anybody figured out over here how many cc of alky/water, or what percentage of alky/water you use per liter of gasoline? Aquamist tells us that most systems run best when the alky/water fluid is between 8% and 15% of the gasoline flowed. I bet thats an awful lot less fluid than you multi nozzle guys are flowing.

They assume that engine use 500 cc of gas per 100 bhp. per min. So, a 300 hp engine will use 1.5 liters gas. Then, for this engine, you would typically want to inject between 120cc and 225cc of alky/water per minute. On my 400 hp engine, Im using a 1mm nozzle, which is rated at 330cc/minute, or about 16% of estimated fuel flow. I think this much straight water would tend to bog, but with the almost 50% alky, it seems ok.

The only comparison I can remember is in Bruces post at the end of the other alchy-vs-water post. Using 250 psi, and many small nozzles the tractor pulling guys are injecting pure water. Also noted by Bruce is that the nozzles produce a fog.

So it can be done.

Nobody here has done it, and I know a couple that have tried.

Lots of people are running the 50-50 mix, and most of them, like yourself, are using small nozzles to do this.

A general observation, and personal esxperience by myself leads me to believe that there is benefit in running 3-4 nozzles, 2 stages, high pump pressure, and 50-50 mixes.

I'm running 3 nozzles in my 2 stage. All 1 mm Aquamist. Others run 4 nozzles,slightly smaller, (.8 mm) in some instrances.

Running 2 smaller nozzles might help you raise the boost even more (if that is possible) or allow you to use more water. My concern is with the Nozzles plugging up.

Of course we are looking at a ton of variables between the two engines. Heads are different, compression ratio lower, power band higher, and who knows how well or how quickly your coolant system, and cylinder attachments soak up excess heat at WOT.

I had to go to 2 stage, for instance, just because I switched to alum heads. Just that small change in the set-up changed things a lot! So the difference between 2 different engines would seem to suggest the need for totally different alchy set-ups.

Good luck, and let us know what worked the best!