You can type here any text you want

Strange electrical issues with headlights and dash

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris996

First post here and unfortunately its not about all the fun I've been having with my newly acquired 1987 Turbo T.

Admittedly I've not had the time to dig through the wiring in the dash yet, but thought I'd ask if anyone has ever seen a problem like this.

When I turn on my headlights, both turn signals in the dash light up solid. The alcohol injection pump will also run. If I turn the dimmer switch all the way down, everything stops and seems to work as normal. I'd also point out that I just added a Retrosound radio and amplifier, but that wiring seemed to be straightforward.

I figured it was a shot in the dark that someone else has had a similar issue, and will have to go through all the wiring. Just hoping for a direction in which to start looking. Thanks

I figured it was a shot in the dark

Pretty much........could be several issues.
The h/l sw itself. However, if it's working, I'd put my $ on some add-on wiring being the culprit.
The alky wiring.
I'd get a schematic, and start there.
What alky system is it? If Alky control, Julio might be able to help w/ a drwg, or a copy of the inst instructions.
As a quik test, pull the alky power fuse..
Was this an issue when you got the car?

Thanks for your blindfolded swing.
Ive only owned her for a few weeks and really haven't driven her at night, other than the ride home when she ran well.
The biggest mystery to me right now is how the headlight or dimmer switch is having an impact on the alcohol pump.

There's a ground wire around the battery that runs to the Passenger side fender, Hook it back up

Thank you for responses. After tearing apart the wiring under the dash, it seems as though the ground wire from the dimmer switch was not bolted down properly. Looks like I've a lot of wiring clean up to do on this new to me car.

Back